Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jul 2, 2013, 04:52 PM   #1
aleksxpo
macrumors newbie

Post MBA 12/13 for semi-pro web-dev

Hello I am totally new to the Mac world and I am interested can I use the MBA for web dev.

My needs are modest:

Adobe Photoshop CS6
Sublime Text 3
MAMP/XAMPP
I do not need to optimize for 3D gaming and such things, although I would like it to be able to run Diablo 3 if that doesn't drive the cost up requiring a faster CPU than the base model.

Has anyone run into problems using the i5 CPU for semi-professional web development on a budget?

Also would the ASUS N56 be a good alternative to it (i would exchange the hard-disk for a SSD).Thanks and ikr i asked something similar before , but i didn't express my needs in the way i wanted.
aleksxpo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 06:19 PM   #2
cake1
macrumors newbie

I my 2013 mb for j2ee and bash programming.
Its fast, responsive and pleasure to work with for java development so I am pretty sure it will be great for your ST/web dev stuff.

The battery lasts around 12 hours of java development and around 9 hours if non-work related activities (Ie. youtube, video calls etc).
I have the 13 inch one
cake1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 07:26 PM   #3
silverf1re
macrumors regular

i bought a 2012 base when wwdc hit and got it for 950. I use it for .net and i love it. it seems that win7 + visual studio run with less ram usage than 10.8 with eclipse. But ymmv
silverf1re is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 08:04 AM   #4
aleksxpo
macrumors newbie

i recently hear there are issues with the wi-fi is it true? I must know since i can't return the machine (no apple store here)
aleksxpo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 08:18 AM   #5
zipur
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cake1 View Post
I my 2013 mb for j2ee and bash programming.
Its fast, responsive and pleasure to work with for java development so I am pretty sure it will be great for your ST/web dev stuff.

The battery lasts around 12 hours of java development and around 9 hours if non-work related activities (Ie. youtube, video calls etc).
I have the 13 inch one

You got 12 hours of use? Really.
zipur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:30 PM   #6
cake1
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipur View Post
You got 12 hours of use? Really.
yup. Of work to be more specific. For me work means, Skype and the email client disabled (not running). No youtube watching and no Facebook use.
Only eclipse, and occasional browser use.

While not working the battery last a lot less for me since I would engage in time wasting activities such as watching videos or using skype to talk to family etc.
cake1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 01:12 PM   #7
prophetx2
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksxpo View Post
Hello I am totally new to the Mac world and I am interested can I use the MBA for web dev.

My needs are modest:

Adobe Photoshop CS6
Sublime Text 3
MAMP/XAMPP
I do not need to optimize for 3D gaming and such things, although I would like it to be able to run Diablo 3 if that doesn't drive the cost up requiring a faster CPU than the base model.

Has anyone run into problems using the i5 CPU for semi-professional web development on a budget?

Also would the ASUS N56 be a good alternative to it (i would exchange the hard-disk for a SSD).Thanks and ikr i asked something similar before , but i didn't express my needs in the way i wanted.
I have an i5/8gb/256 and have no issues running the exact setup your asking about minus sublime (I use IntelliJ Ultimate instead). I even run a win7 vm constantly during this time to test IE browsers as well.
prophetx2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air