Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Figured I'd setup a place for discussion, commiseration, etc.

National Weather Service is now calling the rainfall amounts of "biblical proportions".

http://www.9news.com/common/colorado_floods/

Hope all the MR members in the flooded areas of Colorado are safe and sound. I'm in Castle Rock and things are quite mellow here, not at all like other parts of the Front Range.

Stay safe!

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Figured I'd setup a place for discussion, commiseration, etc.

National Weather Service is now calling the rainfall amounts of "biblical proportions".

http://www.9news.com/common/colorado_floods/

Hope all the MR members in the flooded areas of Colorado are safe and sound. I'm in Castle Rock and things are quite mellow here, not at all like other parts of the Front Range.

Stay safe!

I'm sorry that you guys are going through this rough time.

Most important that folks attend to evacuation orders and stay safe.

I hope all remains well with you, dejo.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Most important that folks attend to evacuation orders and stay safe.
Yeah, and unlike for wildfires, during flooding they actually want to minimize evacuations because more people are killed escaping flood waters in their vehicles than if they had stayed put in their homes.

I hope all remains well with you, dejo.

I am totally okay here (although we're expected to get a few inches of rain tonight, nothing scary predicted yet) but I am worried about parts further north of me. Rain is still falling and not expected to let off for another 12 or so hours!

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Lots of rain where I'm located, but no flooding to worry about. That said, it has been pretty brutal in some areas.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Yeah, and unlike for wildfires, during flooding they actually want to minimize evacuations because more people are killed escaping flood waters in their vehicles than if they had stayed put in their homes.

Interesting...around here (Mass) in low lying coastal areas, and on the Islands, there is often an evacuation to higher ground when there is a risk of serious flooding.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Lots of rain where I'm located, but no flooding to worry about.

Glad to hear it.

Would love to hear updates from dukebound85, AlphaDogg, wonderspark, and any other possible-flood-area members.

----------

...there is often an evacuation to higher ground when there is a risk of serious flooding.

Yeah, I think with the flash-flooding, it's a little trickier. There definitely is a need to move to higher ground when in imminent danger. But driving on flooded roads can put you at greater risk because the road surface under the water may have washed away and you have no way to tell.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Glad to hear it.

Would love to hear updates from dukebound85, AlphaDogg, wonderspark, and any other possible-flood-area members.

----------

Yeah, I think with the flash-flooding, it's a little trickier. There definitely is a need to move to higher ground when in imminent danger. But driving on flooded roads can put you at greater risk because the road surface under the water may have washed away and you have no way to tell.

Thanks, but I'm really getting tired of all this rain.

In addition to the road being washed out, it only takes a couple of inches of water in order to move your car.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I went to help a friend move today only because of the flood. Her building was near Alameda and Havana and the lower level apartments got flooded bad. She lost all the furniture and we could only save things that were high up in cabinets. Her car is also totaled since the parking lot and garage was under water. I mean her car was completely under water and still is.

The dam in the Rocky Mtn. Arsenal gave way and the retainer wall is holiding the water but won't last long. They expect it to give out before long flooding a huge part of Commerce City which they evacuated.

I lost my phone helping my friend when I tripped on something covered in water and I fell in.

You can see the whole area is under water. The water brought down that gate. This is right behind my friends apartment.

A teen caught the fish swimming down his street.

Attachments

• thm_phpSBPxYg.jpg
    thm_phpSBPxYg.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 73
  • thm_phpcDsQ1N.jpg
    thm_phpcDsQ1N.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2013-09-12 at 3.35.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-12 at 3.35.15 PM.png
    232.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
No flooding issues at our house in Longmont, but according to reports we are entirely isolated. The mountains to the west, St Vrain river to the north and east, and Left Hand Creek to the south and east.

It's not exactly dire, though - there is supposedly one road that is still open but only to emergency vehicles. So supplies can get in. The grocery store last night was busy, but still fully stocked. We still have electricity and clean water.

I work from home anyway so it's just a normal day for me. My wife's office is in Boulder, and she's working from home as well.

Hopefully everybody can stay safe...

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I inadvertently left a cooler out on my deck to air dry a few days ago. I just checked it and it has 3.5" of water in it. I'm starting to see some puddling in my back lawn. Fortunately, it isn't anywhere near as bad as in other areas of Colorado.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
The National Guard was able to evacuate more people from Lyons this morning. And it sounds like Boulder Creek is finished cresting. But places downstream are starting to be affected. I-25 near Loveland is now closed due to the Big Thompson River flooding it. As well, parts of Fort Collins are under evacuation notices. And Bear Creek, west of Morrison, is now flooding.

EDIT:
I hear I-25 is closed from US 7 all the way up to Wyoming.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
I've heard that while the rain is starting to lessen, dams in the mountains are starting to do controlled releases to prevent catastrophic failures, and therefore rivers in the plains will continue to be very high for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.