Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Apr 3, 2012, 01:09 AM   #26
stevento
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampant.A.I. View Post
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Have you ever used, or do you know anyone who uses PP for regular medical services and prenatal care? Most of what you posted is grossly misinformed, and I'd be interested where you found the information.
No I have not, nor do I know anyone who does. In fact, that's why I doubt their claim that "many people have nowhere else to go for medical care."
All the information I posted about Planned Parenthood can be found on their website, PlannedParenthood.org
When I want information about abortion, I go to PP because obviously they are the experts.

And if you doubt the mammogram scam claim, please call any PP office near you and ask them to schedule a mammogram. See what they tell you.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 02:00 AM   #27
mudslag
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevento View Post
No I have not, nor do I know anyone who does. In fact, that's why I doubt their claim that "many people have nowhere else to go for medical care."
All the information I posted about Planned Parenthood can be found on their website, PlannedParenthood.org
When I want information about abortion, I go to PP because obviously they are the experts.

And if you doubt the mammogram scam claim, please call any PP office near you and ask them to schedule a mammogram. See what they tell you.

My wife and every one of her friends has used PP for their services and no not abortions. Every old girlfriend oh mine has used it. So ok you dont know anyone who has used PP, that doesnt equate to PP not offering legit services used by millions of women every year. The link you provided in the last post is a half ass edited version and doesnt give the bigger picture to what they offer. Here is the proper link to that video that isnt selectively edited. As for mammograms services, they dont offer it directly but through referral to other health clinics that do have the x-ray machines capable of doing mammograms. They provide grant money to those clinics to help pay for the referred patients they send over. Funny how the video creator left that bit of information out. So when they say that they wont be able to offer mammograms, its because if their funding is cut off, they cant pay the grants that help pay for the mammogram services. Lastly, mammograms are just one part of a breast exam and is used as more of a last resort in terms of breast exams to limit the amount of x-rays received.

Offering referrals and grants to clinics that provide mammograms is still considered a service.

Quote:
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/hea...gram-21195.htm

Where Can I Get a Mammogram?

Ask your health care provider, health department, or staff at your local Planned Parenthood health center about where you can get a mammogram in your area.
Quote:
“Planned Parenthood doctors and nurses provide more than 800,000 breast cancer screenings annually. We offer breast exams at every one of our family planning health centers. Like the vast majority of primary care physicians and ob-gyns, we refer our patients to other facilities for mammograms when indicated based on a breast exam, age or family history”
Quote:
The Komen-funded Planned Parenthood programs have helped thousands of women in rural and underserved communities get breast health education, screenings, and referrals for mammograms.
Here is a list of other services offered by PP. My guess is you have never bothered to look up what services they offer and prob only visit sites that only try to offer a negative look about PP.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/fil...P_Services.pdf

Last edited by mudslag; Apr 4, 2012 at 11:56 PM.
mudslag is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:17 AM   #28
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudslag View Post
My wife and every one of her friends has used PP for their services and no not abortions. Every old girlfriend oh mine has used it. So ok you dont know anyone who has used PP, that doesnt equate to PP not offering legit services used by millions of women every year. The link you provided in the last post is a half ass edited version and doesnt give the bigger picture to what they offer. Here is the proper link to that video that isnt selectively edited. As for mammograms services, they dont offer it directly but through referral to other health clinics that do have the x-ray machines capable of doing mammograms. They provide grant money to those clinics to help pay for the referred patients they send over. Funny how the video creator left that bit of information out. So when they say that they wont be able to offer mammograms, its because if their funding is cut off, they cant pay the grants that help pay for the mammogram services. Lastly, mammograms are just one part of a breast exam and is used as more of a last resort in terms of breast exams to limit the amount of x-rays received.

Offering referrals and grants to clinics that provide mammograms is still considered a service.

Here is a list of other services offered by PP. My guess is you have never bothered to look up what services they offer and prob only visit sites that only try to offer a negative look about PP.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/fil...P_Services.pdf

As for abortion, that's 3% of their total services they actually provide. Services that still have to be paid for when you go in for one. And yes I have a bit of personal experience with that.
Remember, nothing is important to people like stevento unless it involves them directly.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:24 AM   #29
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Yes, let's get rid of one of the most effective organizations in the US. We could switch to abstinence only education because that works so well.

rdowns is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 05:42 PM   #30
iJohnHenry
Banned

Texas.

The state so great, that they want to share.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 05:56 PM   #31
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJohnHenry View Post
Texas.

NY doesn't seem to be fairing too well either even with comprehensive sex ed.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 06:06 PM   #32
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Texas.

Old Apr 3, 2012, 06:32 PM   #33
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
True.

Quote:
True.

iJohnHenry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 06:39 PM   #34
CaptMurdock
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It seems to be about the same as California, which is still better than Texas and the other states that are teaching abstinence-only.

No one said comprehensive sex ed was going to entirely eliminate teen pregnancy -- just that it was more effective than A-O.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 06:50 PM   #35
mudslag
macrumors regular

There is no single plan that can entirely eliminate teen pregnancy. Hell it can't be eliminated no matter what, kids will be kids. To be honest it's pretty damn natural for teens to have sex. For majority of human history, that's been the age where most of humanity started families so in a way its hard wired into us. I dont see why abstinence cant be taught with sex ed but it's fraking retarded to think that abstinence only teaching is the way to go.
mudslag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 06:54 PM   #36
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Why are schools teaching abstinence?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 07:21 PM   #37
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
They think they have it in them to be some sort of modern-day Hans Brinker. ??
Old Apr 3, 2012, 07:24 PM   #38
mudslag
macrumors regular

Quote:
Because some people are scared of their kids learning facts.

I think this sums it up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-L3JMk7C1A
mudslag is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 08:47 PM   #39
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:

Because of the three Rs…Religion, Republicans and Rednecks.
rdowns is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 12:05 AM   #40
stevento
macrumors 6502

Quote:
My wife and every one of her friends has used PP for their services and no not abortions. Every old girlfriend oh mine has used it. So ok you dont know anyone who has used PP, that doesnt equate to PP not offering legit services used by millions of women every year. The link you provided in the last post is a half ass edited version and doesnt give the bigger picture to what they offer. Here is the proper link to that video that isnt selectively edited. As for mammograms services, they dont offer it directly but through referral to other health clinics that do have the x-ray machines capable of doing mammograms.
I know PP does a lot of things besides abortion, but that does not make abortion acceptable or morally permissible in any way.

No they are not capable of mammograms. Here's a link located on plannedparenthood.org saying they do not provide mammograms. Watch the vid at the 1:45 mark.
link They simply don't provide them.
That link you posted is the full interview. A referral for a mammogram is not a mammogram. Google provides mammogram referrals for free. If you want the government to subsidize mammograms, give money to the providers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
Remember, nothing is important to people like stevento unless it involves them directly.
?

Quote:
Because the only kids who are at risk for STDs and pregnancy are the ones having sex. That's why. Abstinent kids have 0% chance of winding up in "a tough position where abortion may be the best choice."
Old Apr 7, 2012, 01:35 AM   #41
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Because the only kids who are at risk for STDs and pregnancy are the ones having sex. That's why. Abstinent kids have 0% chance of winding up in "a tough position where abortion may be the best choice."
We've already shown you that keeping kids ignorant does not work.
leekohler is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 02:57 AM   #42
mudslag
macrumors regular

Quote:
I know PP does a lot of things besides abortion, but that does not make abortion acceptable or morally permissible in any way.
That's called being subjective. What is not acceptable by some does not mean it's not acceptable to others. FTR morals are also subjective.

Quote:
No they are not capable of mammograms. Here's a link located on plannedparenthood.org saying they do not provide mammograms. Watch the vid at the 1:45 mark.
link They simply don't provide them.
That link you posted is the full interview. A referral for a mammogram is not a mammogram. Google provides mammogram referrals for free. If you want the government to subsidize mammograms, give money to the providers.
I hope you realize that you are agreeing with what Iv listed above, that PP provides referrals for mammograms. No where do they make they claim that they provide direct mammograms. Everywhere you do look for information on the subject, they talk about they referral program. They still provide a service even if it's indirectly. All you are trying to argue is over a wording from one video. They dont try to hide that they provide referrals for mammograms. So basically you are whining about nothing. I hope you also realize that at the time, Komen cutting their funding to PP still effects PP's services they provide, including the referral services. If you dont like that PP provides grants for these services, well that's just a personal problem. The bottom line is, PP's mammograms referrals is still counted as a service they provide.

Quote:

And "abstinence only" has been proven NOT to work. Remember Google is your friend.

Last edited by mudslag; Apr 7, 2012 at 03:10 AM.
mudslag is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 09:16 AM   #43
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
I hope you realize that you are agreeing with what Iv listed above,
Sounds like obfuscation to me.

Everything else he said is merely personal opinion, not backed-up in secular law or with the majority of public opinion.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 10:51 AM   #44
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Quote:
And "abstinence only" has been proven NOT to work. Remember Google is your friend.
You can repeat it until you're blue in the face. His kind of people refuse to listen to evidence that goes against their ideology. Imagine if they listened to logic and reason, they would have to admit they were wrong their entire lives and tell their children that what they were being taught was wrong. No one wants to do that so they just look the other way and keep preaching the same old BS that they know doesn't work.
likemyorbs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 11:24 AM   #45
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:

That is 100& true and no one would argue that will you. The question is: do schools teaching abstinence only sex-ed produce kids who practice abstinence or kids who have sex, uninformed about safe-sex?
Mac'nCheese is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 11:51 AM   #46
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
The question is: do schools teaching abstinence only sex-ed produce kids who practice abstinence or kids who have sex, uninformed about safe-sex?
The answer is: Kids who have sex, but are less informed about it.

They are going to do it. Nobody has stopped them from doing it yet.

So why not at least inform them about it?

The pleasures. The dangers. The consequences. All of it.
citizenzen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 08:38 PM   #47
mudslag
macrumors regular

Quote:
Sounds like obfuscation to me.

Everything else he said is merely personal opinion, not backed-up in secular law or with the majority of public opinion.

This isnt about majority opinion or secular law. He is trying to twist a two second section of one interview into a completely different meaning. There is no confusion going on, just a misrepresentation of what PP services are offered.
mudslag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 10:41 AM   #48
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
This isn't about majority opinion or secular law. He is trying to twist a two second section of one interview into a completely different meaning. There is no confusion going on, just a misrepresentation of what PP services are offered.
I was just tired of using the same old "disinformation" tag.

But we agree none the less.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues