Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:05 AM   #1
DoctorCrap
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Send a message via Skype™ to DoctorCrap
Best Back-up Application on Mac OS X

These are the criterias that would satisfy the user of the application:
  • Light-weight
  • Easy and user-friendly
  • Fast processing
  • Least amount of errors
I have already tried Time Machine but the goal here is to not use it.
I have also tried Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper!

If you know of any better alternatives please let me know or if you feel which is the best.
Thanks.
__________________
13" Macbook Air 2010, iPhone 4
Forever, Steve Jobs
DoctorCrap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:34 AM   #2
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Ignoring any of your requirements, the best backup software I have used is... Disk Utility. It's actually pretty easy to make backups with it, plus it is bundled with every Mac sold these days.

I used to use SuperDuper, but from my experiences, it does not make an exact copy. Maybe 99.9% accurate. I noticed when I would have to restore from a backup made by SuperDuper, it would forget a few things, like app settings. LittleSnitch and Photoshop were big problems, if I remember right. Disk Utility cannot make scheduled automated backups, or quick "smart backups", but it does make an exact one, and I would always backup overnight so the speed was never a big deal anyways.
Pakaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:40 AM   #3
DoctorCrap
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Send a message via Skype™ to DoctorCrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakaku View Post
Ignoring any of your requirements, the best backup software I have used is... Disk Utility. It's actually pretty easy to make backups with it, plus it is bundled with every Mac sold these days.

I used to use SuperDuper, but from my experiences, it does not make an exact copy. Maybe 99.9% accurate. I noticed when I would have to restore from a backup made by SuperDuper, it would forget a few things, like app settings. LittleSnitch and Photoshop were big problems, if I remember right. Disk Utility cannot make scheduled automated backups, or quick "smart backups", but it does make an exact one, and I would always backup overnight so the speed was never a big deal anyways.
Thanks.
I am aware that it does not offer any scheduling options but it also does not follow same protocols as in most back-up utilities. It does not update the disk with little amount of process but fully re-adds the back-up files onto the disk image.

I am working on my Macbook Air 2010 with 2GB RAM second-handed from eBay. Quality of this aluminium is below average so I want the least amount of work done with my Mac because I assume this as a device for my daily use for school work and etc.
__________________
13" Macbook Air 2010, iPhone 4
Forever, Steve Jobs
DoctorCrap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:51 AM   #4
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Aside from what you tried there's few others that offer the same level of functionality. I personally use TimeMachine for its ease of use, supplemented with CCC
maflynn is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:27 PM   #5
JoelBC
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/21413/backuplist+
JoelBC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:53 PM   #6
Parky84
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Aside from what you tried there's few others that offer the same level of functionality. I personally use TimeMachine for its ease of use, supplemented with CCC
Ditto. I use time machine and have CCC backup a bootable copy a week to an external drive.
Parky84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:27 AM   #7
Fishrrman
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
CarbonCopyCloner.
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:08 AM   #8
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCrap View Post
These are the criterias that would satisfy the user of the application:
  • Light-weight
  • Easy and user-friendly
  • Fast processing
  • Least amount of errors
I have already tried Time Machine but the goal here is to not use it.
...
So where did Time Machine fail the above list of requirements? That would help people understand your needs better. As it is, Time Machine seems to meet your stated requirements.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:39 AM   #9
flynz4
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
So where did Time Machine fail the above list of requirements? That would help people understand your needs better. As it is, Time Machine seems to meet your stated requirements.
Agreed.

I use Time Machine for local backup.
Crashplan+ for offsite backup.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back up to TimeCapsule thru back to my mac? cpuin OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 1 Aug 28, 2013 06:28 PM
I'm looking for a Mac application like Paper carlsson Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Nov 25, 2012 02:37 PM
Best Security Application for Mac OS X Rossagues Mac Applications and Mac App Store 33 Oct 3, 2012 02:34 AM
Proxy application for mac? nysegop Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Jun 8, 2012 03:52 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC