Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:05 AM   #1
DoctorCrap
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to DoctorCrap
Best Back-up Application on Mac OS X

These are the criterias that would satisfy the user of the application:
  • Light-weight
  • Easy and user-friendly
  • Fast processing
  • Least amount of errors
I have already tried Time Machine but the goal here is to not use it.
I have also tried Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper!

If you know of any better alternatives please let me know or if you feel which is the best.
Thanks.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:34 AM   #2
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Ignoring any of your requirements, the best backup software I have used is... Disk Utility. It's actually pretty easy to make backups with it, plus it is bundled with every Mac sold these days.

I used to use SuperDuper, but from my experiences, it does not make an exact copy. Maybe 99.9% accurate. I noticed when I would have to restore from a backup made by SuperDuper, it would forget a few things, like app settings. LittleSnitch and Photoshop were big problems, if I remember right. Disk Utility cannot make scheduled automated backups, or quick "smart backups", but it does make an exact one, and I would always backup overnight so the speed was never a big deal anyways.
Pakaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:40 AM   #3
DoctorCrap
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to DoctorCrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakaku View Post
Ignoring any of your requirements, the best backup software I have used is... Disk Utility. It's actually pretty easy to make backups with it, plus it is bundled with every Mac sold these days.

I used to use SuperDuper, but from my experiences, it does not make an exact copy. Maybe 99.9% accurate. I noticed when I would have to restore from a backup made by SuperDuper, it would forget a few things, like app settings. LittleSnitch and Photoshop were big problems, if I remember right. Disk Utility cannot make scheduled automated backups, or quick "smart backups", but it does make an exact one, and I would always backup overnight so the speed was never a big deal anyways.
Thanks.
I am aware that it does not offer any scheduling options but it also does not follow same protocols as in most back-up utilities. It does not update the disk with little amount of process but fully re-adds the back-up files onto the disk image.

I am working on my Macbook Air 2010 with 2GB RAM second-handed from eBay. Quality of this aluminium is below average so I want the least amount of work done with my Mac because I assume this as a device for my daily use for school work and etc.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:51 AM   #4
maflynn

Aside from what you tried there's few others that offer the same level of functionality. I personally use TimeMachine for its ease of use, supplemented with CCC
maflynn is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:27 PM   #5
JoelBC
macrumors 6502a

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/21413/backuplist+
JoelBC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:53 PM   #6
Parky84
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Aside from what you tried there's few others that offer the same level of functionality. I personally use TimeMachine for its ease of use, supplemented with CCC
Ditto. I use time machine and have CCC backup a bootable copy a week to an external drive.
Parky84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:27 AM   #7
Fishrrman
macrumors 601

CarbonCopyCloner.
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:08 AM   #8
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCrap View Post
These are the criterias that would satisfy the user of the application:
  • Light-weight
  • Easy and user-friendly
  • Fast processing
  • Least amount of errors
I have already tried Time Machine but the goal here is to not use it.
So where did Time Machine fail the above list of requirements? That would help people understand your needs better. As it is, Time Machine seems to meet your stated requirements.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:39 AM   #9
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
So where did Time Machine fail the above list of requirements? That would help people understand your needs better. As it is, Time Machine seems to meet your stated requirements.
Agreed.

I use Time Machine for local backup.
Crashplan+ for offsite backup.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store