Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
:mad:

I've been trying out some cloud services like Snapjoy, Everpix and Myshoebox which takes your photos and organizes them automagically in a Timeline like fashion.

To my discovery, MANY photo apps I use to seem to retain the original EXIF data but uses the date and time of when the photo was exported from the app (VSCO for instance) or uploaded to the service (Instagram for instance).

Furthermore, Instgram strips ALL EXIF data (GPS, date, time, phone used, etc), causing me to have to find the originals and manually change the photo to the correct date and time.

Sometimes I just take a photo and can't upload it or process it until later, sometimes MUCH later. Afterall, when I'm with the wife & kids or with friends, I can't sit there and process my photos in an anti-social like manner. It's better to take the photo and worry about the uploads and adjustments later (at least for me).

What's the deal? Apple should be more strict in this regard.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Most of these services strip out the EXIF info for privacy reasons. If they left it in, anybody that found a online photo of your family would be able to tell exactly where the photo was taken... like at your home.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Most of these services strip out the EXIF info for privacy reasons. If they left it in, anybody that found a online photo of your family would be able to tell exactly where the photo was taken... like at your home.

...that makes no sense. If I take it with the Camera app or if I process it through another app, what difference does it make?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
...that makes no sense. If I take it with the Camera app or if I process it through another app, what difference does it make?

Because the Camera app is not used to publicly post the photos like some of these other apps are, and I suspect that is the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.