Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

New2012MacForMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
I recently picked up the new iMac - initially for video editing, but I'd like to get started on vocal recording and start editing and putting some music together. Can you please describe your setup if you use the iMac to record and mix vocals? I'd like to get an idea of what I need to get started. Hardware (i.e., I'd like a pretty decent mic), software (should I just use garageband or is there something a little more advanced that may be easier to edit with and do multi-track recording). I'd love to see pictures of your setup as well. Thanks for your responses.

I currently have a new late 2012 model iMac, i7, 16gb, 1tb fusion, 680mx.

yourashero

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2009
I have the following

Late 09 imac-> FireWire to Motu 8Pre->various different mics.

I use heil pr-40 and pr-30's. Mainly because they both work well for guitar and drums as well.

I use reaper for recordings. Garage band will work, but you get a LOT for what little reaper cost if you're going to get serious.

If you're going to have more than one person listening, get a good headphone amp. I have a Samson S-phone.

Lastly, prepare to get creative with micing and mixing techniques and read a lot. It takes some serious skill to make a halfway decent recording.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.