Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:42 PM   #26
mikedamirault
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Since my last post (a little over half a year ago) I have gotten an iPad, and just as I thought, the difference is night and day, and by taking screenshots of every page, I can just print them out, and read them that way, though $500 just for an iPad just to read an ebook is a bit excessive

If I pay for something, I should be able to use it (read it in this case) without having to go out and buy another expensive device to do so, when I go out to buy an actual paper book, I don't have to buy a $500 pair of reading glasses with the book do I? It would be simple to allow a limited amount of printings, or make it viewable on a PC, but since Apple doesn't allow either, I feel I would have the right to remove the DRM protection as long as I am using it for my own purposes, and after all, it was paid for

@CylonGlitch, at the time I started this thread, I have searched everywhere and could not find a DRM stripper, I have not searched since getting the iPad, though I would be interested in hearing where you found one

I have said many times on my earlier posts that I found it funny that iBooks had been out for over a year and there was no DRM stripper, if a FairPlay stripper is now available as you say, I find it even funnier that it took somebody that long to crack it, I mean really, iOS jailbreaks come out sooner than that, and a jailbreak should take longer than cracking DRM protection
mikedamirault is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 09:24 AM   #27
roletti2007
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
requiem 3.3.5

heres a question, i'm using the latest version of iTunes, is requiem working for anyone out there? it's not cracking the drm's on books
roletti2007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:54 PM   #28
DewGuy1999
macrumors 68040
 
DewGuy1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by roletti2007 View Post
heres a question, i'm using the latest version of iTunes, is requiem working for anyone out there? it's not cracking the drm's on books
From the MacRumors Forum Rules:
Things Not to Do

These habits can produce warnings and repeated violations can produce bans.

Warez/Serials/Keys. Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.
__________________
13.3" MacBook Pro/i5 2.3GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD/Super Drive/OS X 10.6.8
17" iMac/G4 1GHz/768MB RAM/80GB HD/Super Drive/OS X 10.4.11
DewGuy1999 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 01:05 PM   #29
ngenerator
macrumors 68000
 
ngenerator's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USG Ishimura
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewguy1999 View Post
from the macrumors forum rules:
things not to do
ugh, are you seriously subscribed to this thread for the sole purpose to jump down everyone's throats with your 1984-esque viewpoints on DRM? If so, congrats, your point is made.
__________________
4 // Itchy. Tasty.

Last edited by ngenerator; Aug 3, 2012 at 03:50 PM.
ngenerator is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 01:17 PM   #30
DewGuy1999
macrumors 68040
 
DewGuy1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngenerator View Post
ugh, are you seriously subcribed to this thread for the sole purpose to jump down everyone's throats with your 1984-esque viewpoints on DRM? If so, congrats, your point is made.
I wasn't jumping down anyone's throat I was just pointing out the terms of this forum which like the terms of iBooks most people don't read. If they did read the terms of iBooks then they would know what they were getting themselves into and shouldn't have a need to be on here trying to violate those terms that they agreed to. I don't accept the terms of iBooks/eBooks and therefore I don't buy them.
__________________
13.3" MacBook Pro/i5 2.3GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD/Super Drive/OS X 10.6.8
17" iMac/G4 1GHz/768MB RAM/80GB HD/Super Drive/OS X 10.4.11
DewGuy1999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:06 PM   #31
slondy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Well, that's odd..

Anyone else see a pattern on these forums... every time a whole bunch of people start complaining about something really irritating that some company , let's say Granny Smith, does, such as not allowing you to open content on the computer you used to purchase it, someone comes out of the woodwork threatening to ban them, explaining that this company can sue them, etc.

I'd like to introduce the possibility that someone is implementing effective (while unethical) PR. I'd be more than okay if it was stated. What I don't like, however, is being mislead by people pretending not to be employees. Maybe this isn't the case, but I studied Marketing in college and companies do this all of the time. Bring on the jokes about how studying it in college doesn't make me an expert. Just look it up for yourself and remember that I could never come off as pompous as this company, the one that never apologizes or gives you any service for free. You just have to ask yourself, would a company like this one, with all of its sneaky and secretive algorithms and tracking, mislead you? A little Orwellian for my taste. Sure, they are just trying to protect what's theirs and force people into buying a device they don't want to purchase, a horridly overpriced charger, etc... no big deal, right?
slondy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:07 AM   #32
Quotenfrau
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
please boycott DRM enabled content. Never ever buy that!

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/

Quote:
We oppose DRM.

We are a participatory and grassroots campaign exposing DRM-encumbered devices and media for what they really are: Defective by Design. We are working together to eliminate DRM as a threat to innovation in media, the privacy of readers, and freedom for computer users. Our actions involve identifying and targeting defective products, pressuring media retailers and hardware manufacturers to stop supporting DRM, exposing the immense concentration of power over media created by DRM, and raising awareness of DRM to libraries, schools, and individuals around the world. More about Defective by Design.
What is DRM?

Digital Restrictions Management is technology that controls what you can do with the digital media and devices you own. When a program doesn't let you share a song, read an ebook on another device, or play a game without an internet connection, you are being restricted by DRM. In other words, DRM creates a damaged good. It prevents you from doing what would normally be possible if it wasn't there, and this is creating a dangerous situation for freedom, privacy and censorship
Quotenfrau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:06 AM   #33
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewGuy1999 View Post
I wasn't jumping down anyone's throat I was just pointing out the terms of this forum which like the terms of iBooks most people don't read. If they did read the terms of iBooks then they would know what they were getting themselves into and shouldn't have a need to be on here trying to violate those terms that they agreed to. I don't accept the terms of iBooks/eBooks and therefore I don't buy them.
On the other hand, someone who owns a Macintosh and no other computer or computer-like device can download books from the iTunes store, and any warning that these books cannot be read on a Macintosh is in very, very small smallprint. What makes it worse is that there are plenty of books that can be read once you install some ePub reader software on your Mac, but also lots of books that can't be read, and there is absolutely _nothing_ in the iTunes store that tells you the difference.

The fact that you need an iPod Touch, iPhone or iPad unless you install some third-party ePub Reader should be announced in some more than obvious way when you try to buy books. And the fact that for some books, a third-party ePub Reader doesn't work at all should be announced in some even more obvious way. What would be even better would for Apple to make the iBooks reader software work on the Mac as well.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:08 PM   #34
bdloss
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
this whole thing is bs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewGuy1999 View Post
No, he's not trying to steal content, but he is trying to defeat the DRM, which I believe makes my post relevant.
this is stupid. the book was purchased legally and therefore he should be allowed to do with it what he pleases (i.e. printing it, viewing it in firefox, etc.). unless he is violating law against distributing the book illegally, he should be allowed to do it! i am currently having the same issue. i purchased a book on the itunes store and wish to print it for better reading, however i am not allowed to, which is pure bs! i BOUGHT the book and wish to read it in the setting of my choosing, that is my right as a buyer!
bdloss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:25 PM   #35
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Is it that hard for people to read?



Publishers don't care about what's convenient for you. When you go digital, and buy from places like Apple, Amazon, and B&N, you know exactly what you're getting - A book you can read on THEIR software.

People should know by now that buying books digitally is safer when you do buy from DRM-free places, or from Amazon. Especially when Apple encourages writers to use tools like iBooks Author, it is near to impossible to even get it to render in anything OTHER than iBooks due to it being the most richest experience you can get when it comes to books, not even KF8 comes close.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:02 PM   #36
snberk103
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: An Island in the Salish Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by slondy View Post
Anyone else see a pattern on these forums... ...

I'd like to introduce the possibility that someone is implementing effective (while unethical) PR. ...What I don't like, however, is being mislead by people pretending not to be employees. Maybe this isn't the case, but I studied Marketing in college and companies do this all of the time. Bring on the jokes about how studying it in college doesn't make me an expert. ... no big deal, right?
Just for the record, while I haven't actually posted in this particular thread... I do vigorously defend the rights of the content creators to set the terms of how their content can be used continually in these forums. DRM is just one example.

You are absolutely correct. Studying something in college does not necessarily make someone an expert. I am a professional photographer. I work from home. I don't get a pay cheque - I get paid only if someone believes that the content I create is worth paying for.

In the case of iBooks, if I were to write a book about photography and put up on iTunes for sale, I would price it differently depending on whether the entire world could potentially download it, or if only some of the world...the ones using iOS devices, for instance, could download it.

That's the funny thing about Apple users ... a lot of us are involved in creating content, and therefore we actually care about how content is, or is not, paid for since it ultimately affects us. So please don't lump all of us content creators as shills for Apple just because you don't create content yourself.
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton
snberk103 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:40 AM   #37
spacepower7
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2004
Since people revived this thread, I'll tell about my two experiences dealing with ebooks

Most recent was with Paperless in the iBookstore. David Sparks wrote Paperless abt how to convert to a paperless workflow.

$5 ebook. He revised it and add more screenshots and videos, free upgrade by deleting your current version in iTunes and re-download from iTunes.

Something (forget the title) Real Estate Finance, Kindle Edition (iPad too) in spring 2010. Ebook $70 seemed attractive bc the hard copy was $210.

Well, Amazon sold me the 2 edition earlier version from 2007 which obviously didn't include the 2008 global economic meltdown that started from the real estate market. So the ebook was useless for most of the class.

Amazon would not refund my money bc the current version of kindle for PC had cracked the DRM. Also the publisher hadn't bothered to update their ebook between 2007 and 2010 although they updated the print version twice.
spacepower7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:08 AM   #38
Dranix
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Gelnhausen, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post
Just be sure. You are asking for instructions on how to circumvent copy right protection. In short, help you do something illegal? Is this right?
Well it isn't illegal everywhere. Always remember that the us is not the world.
Dranix is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:59 AM   #39
Stewart21
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleharmonic View Post
Removing DRM is not, in fact, illegal in the US as long as what you do with the material falls within fair use. See here:

http://arstechnica.com/software/news...e-is-legal.ars

So the original question is both legal and valid (as I came here to try and find a way to unlock my iBook files). Since there doesn't seem yet to be a way to break the iBooks DRM I will, sadly, have to move on and simply not purchase iBooks. However, once someone DOES build a way to strip the DRM from iBooks I will happily and legally do so.
You don't need to crack the DRM, just buy an iPad.
__________________
20" iMac 2007 2GHZ C2D 4GB RAM 250GB & 2011 13' MBA 1.7GHz i5 4GB 128SSD. Both OSX Mavericks. iPad Mini 32GB WiFi Black/Slate. ATV3.
Stewart21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:00 AM   #40
SlCKB0Y
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post
Just be sure. You are asking for instructions on how to circumvent copy right protection. In short, help you do something illegal? Is this right?
Depends in which country he is located. Not all countries have the wonderful DMCA laws that the US has.
SlCKB0Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:45 AM   #41
CalgaryTechGuy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedamirault View Post
I wasn't sure where else to ask, so here I am

I just made a huge mistake by buying two books from the iBookstore without checking about DRM protection first

I rarely buy ebooks (these are my first, and maybe last two), so this is my first real experience with iBooks

For the longest time after downloading the books (on my iPhone), I first had a problem trying get them to show up in iTunes over iCloud, so I couldn't get the epub files onto my MacBook Air, I found out that I was logged into the wrong Apple ID, after logging in with the right AppleID, I was able to find the two ebooks and download them from iCloud to my MBA

After finding out that they were protected by Fairplay DRM, I tried searching for a way to remove it

Now I have heard from everywhere (including on here) that there is no way (currently) to remove the Fairplay DRM protection from the epub files (which is funny being that iBooks and the iBookstore has been out for over a year, plenty of time to crack Fairplay)

That said, while searching, I have came across a site that claims to offer software to strip the Fairplay DRM protection from epub files so they can be opened from any ebook reader

Now because of all the broken english on the site and the fact they don't offer a demo of their software, I wasn't sure if this software was legit or if it was just some sort of scam


Here's the link to the site I am talking about http://pdf-converter.for-mac-downloa...ub-on-mac.html

The screen on my iPhone is just too small and annoying to read the books off of, and I don't plan on getting an iPad anytime soon
Call Apple, tell them what happened. There is a reason that they are praised time and time again for their customer service.
CalgaryTechGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:52 PM   #42
Harrysu
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackilroy View Post
I don't go for software such as that personally – you might look into calibre. Not sure it'll strip the DRM, but it's worth a shot (free, and a very good program).
I tried converting some PDFs with calibre and it didn't format the tables correctly when viewing in the calibre reader before I got my iPad. How are things working now? What presets did you use? iBooks would be my preferred way of doing things rather than trying the various multi readers available.

Any advice?f
Harrysu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:12 PM   #43
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040
 
Mackilroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Send a message via AIM to Mackilroy
I only use calibre to convert files for my Kindle-never had any problems there. It's always worked fine. Can't help you much with iBooks, I don't use it.
__________________
Can a mortal ask questions which God finds unanswerable? Quite easily, I should think. All nonsense questions are unanswerable.
Mackilroy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 09:26 AM   #44
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I'm a Mac user.

I don't have an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch, and have no plans to buy one.
I don't have a Kindle or any other e-reader device, and have no plans to buy one.

I've only tried reading a couple of e-books, and found that what works for me is to do this:
- get ahold of your material and get it onto the Mac.
- use Calibre to open it - various formats supported.
- choose to "print" the entire book, however….
- instead of printing to paper, instead choose to save as a pdf file

The result is a pdf file that can be opened and read on the Mac by several applications.
The formatting may not be exact, but the content is there...
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 04:57 PM   #45
printz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Is there no way to take screenshots of all pages, copy them to the computer, and wrap them into a PDF? Or are the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch crippled just like that, you can't even take screenshots?
printz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2014, 09:55 PM   #46
fluffylucyxmy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
the rights and the wrongs of it all

While circumventing Apple's DRM from ibook purchases may be illegal in some jurisdictions, it may not be in others. Here in Australia for instance, the Apple "agreement" hasn't to my knowledge, been tested in court. I am sure that copying and redistributing copyrighted material would be considered illegal, but we also have a Trade Practices Act which is designed to help protect consumers' rights and prevent misleading and deceptive practices by businesses. A common test that is often used in legal matters is considering what a reasonable person would do, assume, understand... It might be successfully argued that when a reasonable person clicks on the "buy" button on a website, they think they are buying the ebook - not renting or borrowing it.

Past court decisions have had no trouble overturning user agreements, warrantees, contracts etc, when they go counter to the law. until this is tested in the courts, the legality of the DRM restrictions has not been established. There are similar provisions in many other jurisdictions and I'm sure Apple's lawyers are well aware of it.

The legality aside, there is a strong moral argument against some of these attempts to tie consumers into a particular technological ecosystem.

I have to say that have a vested interest. I have been given 11 ibooks so far and reading on my iPhone is too unpleasant for me to have read any of them. Now that ibooks is on the mac, I might try again but it would be so much better if i could read them on my kindle. They are mine (they have been duly paid for). if I can find a way of reading them in a way that suits me, I will not be compromising any reasonable ethical standard.
fluffylucyxmy is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DRM removal software? 2010mini Apple TV and Home Theater 8 Apr 4, 2014 05:19 AM
iTunes DRM removal AppleDeviceUser Mac Applications and Mac App Store 5 Sep 26, 2013 10:17 AM
DRM removal program thuglove Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Mar 19, 2013 04:49 PM
any help removing drm from ibooks? Katieg-fm Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Dec 25, 2012 04:01 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC