Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:17 PM   #1
GKDAIR
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I would honestly trade my Nexus 7 2013 for a current gen Ipad mini.

That's how badly I want to be back in the Apple ecosystem.

It's something I can only explain as Magic, but only Apple seems to have it. The Nexus 7 is literally better than the Ipad mini in every concievable way, and all I can think of is how much I WANT THAT GOSH DARN IPAD MINI.

Note: We do actually have an ipad, but I gave it to my mom when I got my Nexus 7.


Seriously, It's not even like I'm tied into the Apple ecosystem, I don't have a lot of stuff that syncs with other stuff. I can literally only describe it as "Apple Magic" and I know that might make me seem like a fanboy, but you should look at all the other post of people saying the exact same things.

I'm saving up my money to be able to afford the new minis when they come out, and I'll try to sell off my Nexus 7.
GKDAIR is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:25 PM   #2
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Why not just have both? I picked up a used N7 first gen for $100 from CL. Best of both worlds..
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:27 PM   #3
K-Funk
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
So you would honestly trade your $229 device for a $329 device? Not much of an admission.
K-Funk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Carlanga
macrumors 603
 
Carlanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PR
I agree TS, part of the reason I still own an android tablet is because of the price.
__________________
☻ "A dream you dream alone is only a dream...
... A dream you dream together is reality." ☻
Carlanga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 09:58 AM   #5
lulla01
macrumors 68000
 
lulla01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S
Send a message via AIM to lulla01
I have both, the nexus 7 is cleary the better device. The specs, the screen but still the iPad OS is more polished and app ecosystem is better. Maybe i havnt figured out any android tricks.
lulla01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:44 AM   #6
AppleRobert
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulla01 View Post
I have both, the nexus 7 is cleary the better device. The specs, the screen but still the iPad OS is more polished and app ecosystem is better. Maybe i havnt figured out any android tricks.
You like IOS better than android. The new N7 is clearly a better device though as you stated and easily.

There is a trial period just about anywhere when purchased. So why folks did you not return the new N7 if you like IOS better?
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:51 AM   #7
lulla01
macrumors 68000
 
lulla01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S
Send a message via AIM to lulla01
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
You like IOS better than android. The new N7 is clearly a better device though as you stated and easily.

There is a trial period just about anywhere when purchased. So why folks did you not return the new N7 if you like IOS better?
I got mine as a gift, i keep gifts for sentimental purpose.
lulla01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 02:18 PM   #8
jdcell100
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Had every version of the ipad from generation 1 to mini about a month ago on an impulse buy I bought the new nexus 7 lasted 2 days befor I gave it away Ill stick to my iPads I think the mini is way better user expieriance so I can only imagin how the new mini will be when it's announced.
jdcell100 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 02:42 PM   #9
Carlanga
macrumors 603
 
Carlanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
You like IOS better than android. The new N7 is clearly a better device though as you stated and easily.

There is a trial period just about anywhere when purchased. So why folks did you not return the new N7 if you like IOS better?
$$$

I like Ferraris better than my Mitsubishi....
__________________
☻ "A dream you dream alone is only a dream...
... A dream you dream together is reality." ☻
Carlanga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 07:24 PM   #10
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
I traded up from a Mini to Nexus 7 when the Nex7 came out and the only thing I miss are certain iOS specific games and the overall gaming experience. It is smoother and just better on the iPad..but overall I like the Nexus 7 better!
mpayne2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 07:28 PM   #11
OneMike
macrumors 68040
 
OneMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKDAIR View Post
I can literally only describe it as "Apple Magic" and I know that might make me seem like a fanboy, but you should look at all the other post of people saying the exact same things.

I'm saving up my money to be able to afford the new minis when they come out, and I'll try to sell off my Nexus 7.
I had the original Nexus 7 and have owned every single ipad since the original.

For browsing, reading books, etc.. They are a tie.

If you game a lot I can see how you'd like an iPad as they have somewhat better content.

The experience and everything though are equal to me so I don't get what you are trying to say.
__________________
To much stuff to list
OneMike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:26 PM   #12
elchorizo
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Beaverton, OR
I actually agree with this. I have a new Nexus 7, and while I like it, I would trade it today for a current gen iPad Mini. I've refused to buy the mini to this point because I want a retina version, but still, the Nexus 7 just disappointing me. And just to be clear, I'm not an Apple fanboy by any means. I prefer my Note 2 big time over an iPhone for example.

When I first got the Nexus 7 I thought it was very exciting. Finally the retina 7(ish) inch tablet Apple refuses to make. And sure enough, it was beautiful. I wasn't enthused about the tall thin form factor, the 3x4 form factor is one of the things I like about the iPad, but the screen is glorious. Also, I don't really care about the "ecosystem" card everyone plays. For my needs, both Android and Apple are excellent. So, I thought this N7 would be perfect rather than continue to wait for a retina mini.

But as I started using it I started to become more and more annoyed. In most apps it feels like the touch targets are too small. I hit my finger on something and it just doesn't register. I have to tap all around it until finally I accurately hit the target. That never seems to happen on my iPad (3rd generation). Its like my finger is just not accurate. Hard to explain. Also, annoyingly, the pinch zoom is not responsive. I pinch and for like the first maybe 1/4inch of pinch travel there is nothing, then it kicks in. Its like the N7 is spending a split second trying to determine if I'm pinching or not.

Another item is the sometimes sluggish behavior. I tap something and it doesn't respond, so I tap again, only to have it finally respond from the first tap and now my 2nd tap is actually landing on something on the followup screen. wtf?

If I had to summarize the problems I have with the N7 in one word it would be responsiveness. Its just not responsive. My iPad has none of these problems and I assume the mini doesn't either, and therefore, I'd choose a current gen mini over the N7.

I think I'll wait until the retina mini is confirmed, then sell the N7 to help fund it.
__________________
15" rMBP (work), 13" Haswell rMBP, iPad 3, rMini, Thinkpad x220, Thinkpad w520, Win7 Gaming Rig, WMC HTPC, Apple TV
www.flickr.com/photos/marshallalsup
500px.com/marshallalsup
elchorizo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:54 PM   #13
960design
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Destin, FL
Not cutting edge by any means, but I just ordered a Nexus 10 version 2. I'm going to put Ubuntu Touch Beta on it for testing.

I currently manage several thousand iPads and we are always looking at the next thing. I'm thinking the Nexus 10, running Ubuntu Touch may just be it.
__________________
TI-99/4A, tape cassette, 12" B&W Zenith
960design is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:39 PM   #14
Infinite Jest
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Harrisonburg, Va
Quote:
Originally Posted by 960design View Post
Not cutting edge by any means, but I just ordered a Nexus 10 version 2. I'm going to put Ubuntu Touch Beta on it for testing.

I currently manage several thousand iPads and we are always looking at the next thing. I'm thinking the Nexus 10, running Ubuntu Touch may just be it.
If they can iron out some of the hardware issues of the first gen, that combo would be awesome.
Infinite Jest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:59 PM   #15
James717
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchorizo View Post

My iPad has none of these problems and I assume the mini doesn't either, and therefore, I'd choose a current gen mini over the N7.

I think I'll wait until the retina mini is confirmed, then sell the N7 to help fund it.

u really should't assume

mini has 512 ram.

n7 2013 has 2 GB ram.

u'll find a whole new can of worms when and if u test out the current mini.
James717 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 01:52 AM   #16
Shanghaichica
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by James717 View Post
u really should't assume

mini has 512 ram.

n7 2013 has 2 GB ram.

u'll find a whole new can of worms when and if u test out the current mini.
There is nothing wrong with the current mini. It doesn't lag, it's snappy and very responsive. I had the original nexus 7 and it was light years ahead of that. I haven't tried the new nexus 7 so I don't know how it compares.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchorizo View Post
I actually agree with this. I have a new Nexus 7, and while I like it, I would trade it today for a current gen iPad Mini. I've refused to buy the mini to this point because I want a retina version, but still, the Nexus 7 just disappointing me. And just to be clear, I'm not an Apple fanboy by any means. I prefer my Note 2 big time over an iPhone for example.

When I first got the Nexus 7 I thought it was very exciting. Finally the retina 7(ish) inch tablet Apple refuses to make. And sure enough, it was beautiful. I wasn't enthused about the tall thin form factor, the 3x4 form factor is one of the things I like about the iPad, but the screen is glorious. Also, I don't really care about the "ecosystem" card everyone plays. For my needs, both Android and Apple are excellent. So, I thought this N7 would be perfect rather than continue to wait for a retina mini.

But as I started using it I started to become more and more annoyed. In most apps it feels like the touch targets are too small. I hit my finger on something and it just doesn't register. I have to tap all around it until finally I accurately hit the target. That never seems to happen on my iPad (3rd generation). Its like my finger is just not accurate. Hard to explain. Also, annoyingly, the pinch zoom is not responsive. I pinch and for like the first maybe 1/4inch of pinch travel there is nothing, then it kicks in. Its like the N7 is spending a split second trying to determine if I'm pinching or not.

Another item is the sometimes sluggish behavior. I tap something and it doesn't respond, so I tap again, only to have it finally respond from the first tap and now my 2nd tap is actually landing on something on the followup screen. wtf?

If I had to summarize the problems I have with the N7 in one word it would be responsiveness. Its just not responsive. My iPad has none of these problems and I assume the mini doesn't either, and therefore, I'd choose a current gen mini over the N7.

I think I'll wait until the retina mini is confirmed, then sell the N7 to help fund it.
Based on my experience with my mini, your assumption is correct.
Shanghaichica is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ipad mini 1st gen vs nexus 7 2013 eimis993 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 28 Mar 8, 2014 04:02 PM
Display Shootout: Nexus 7 (2013) vs Kindle Fire HDx vs iPad Mini Retina PollyK Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 2 Nov 21, 2013 10:20 PM
iPad Mini: iPad Mini vs Nexus 7 (2013) - Honest Comparison Doth iPad 42 Sep 16, 2013 08:45 PM
ipad mini users views on Nexus 7 (2013) hbksabhi Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 27 Sep 9, 2013 04:24 AM
iPad Mini: Ugh, I'd honestly rather trade my full-size retina iPad for an iPad mini. Axmann iPad 31 May 23, 2013 04:08 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC