Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
One thing I was looking forward to with the iOS 6 upgrade was the oft mentioned (at least in some circles) item on the iOS 6 slide presentation this spring that said "IPv6 over LTE."

Alas, I've now got iOS 6 on my Verizon iPad 3 and when not on WiFi... there's no IPv6 address that I can see. :(

I'm sure that the explanation for this will be a lack of carrier support, but given that back in 2009 Verizon said they would insist on IPv6 support for all LTE devices, it's hard to believe that Verizon isn't doing their part.

Now, before any trolls ask why anyone should care... I have Comcast at home, and they have DHCPv6 prefix delegation working *perfectly*. That means that in principle, I should be able to use iSSH to connect directly to machines behind my firewall without having to resort to ******** like VPNs or port forwarding.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
You need to remember iPv6 requires the isp to support it as well. The ISPs have not been that great at switching over. At&t uverse still is not at iPv6 and if there land line base system is not there the the cell system is not going to be either.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
I take it back!

This is weird indeed... My iPhone 5 *IS* getting IPv6 over LTE!

iPhone 5 (local part of address removed):
iphone5.PNG

iPad:
ipad.PNG

So... why isn't my iPad getting the love?

Last edited by a moderator:

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Carrier update 13.1 "fixed" this on the iPhone 5. I no longer get IPv6 over LTE. :mad:

You may be running into osx's (which is behind iOS as we all know) preference not so much for 'IPv6 if available' but for 'whatever is fastest'. Try running the 'IPv6-only test'.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
You may be running into osx's (which is behind iOS as we all know) preference not so much for 'IPv6 if available' but for 'whatever is fastest'. Try running the 'IPv6-only test'.

Yes, I know. That's what I did before reporting that they turned it off.

Actually, I lie. I have IPv6 only hosts configured in iSSH, and they worked without wifi between launch day and Sunday when the carrier update loaded.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
I filed a Radar about this, and their response was that it was "working as intended."

I replied, "So when Tim Cook's Keynote prominently displayed a bullet point that iOS 6 would have IPv6 over LTE, was that a mistake or a lie?"

I don't expect a response. :mad:

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
For what it's worth.. No IPv6 on my iPad AT&T LTE connection either. I am not so sure if it's IOS6 issue, or simply lack of support by AT&T.. When my iPad is on my home WiFi network, it's able to get IPv6 address and everything works.. Which seems to point to a carrier side issue.

Bummer indeed, would be nice to have IPv6 on the go.

virgiliomi

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
No IPv6 via Verizon LTE on my iPad 3 either... yet my iPhone 5 (also Verizon) has no problems with IPv6 on LTE. I wonder if there's something Verizon needs to enable on their end to make this work? Maybe a feature for the device they need to enable or change?

Comparing the "features" listed in my account between my iPhone and iPad to see what's different... Here are the data-related differences I see (obviously the iPhone also has a bunch of phone-related features)...

iPad: Data Roaming USA & Canada
iPhone: 4G No Roam - USA Only

iPad: NON-MOBILE EMAIL DVC/PRE-PROV
iPhone: EMAIL ACCESS

iPad: Block Mobile Hotspot/Pre-Provisioned Mobile Hotspot
iPhone: 4G Mobile Hotspot Provisioning

I'm expecting this to be a carrier issue more than an Apple issue.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I filed a Radar about this, and their response was that it was "working as intended."

I replied, "So when Tim Cook's Keynote prominently displayed a bullet point that iOS 6 would have IPv6 over LTE, was that a mistake or a lie?"

I don't expect a response. :mad:
It supports it. No doubt.

ATT is just dragging their ass, not Tim Cook's fault. If I were him, I wouldn't respond to you either on such a question/accusation.

virgiliomi

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
I think he mentions that he's using Verizon, not AT&T... his screenshots also show Verizon as the carrier, not AT&T. There's no doubt that AT&T is dragging with its wireless IPv6 implementation, but Verizon is running IPv6 on their 4G network, and devices should be able to get an IPv6 address if they're capable.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
I think he mentions that he's using Verizon, not AT&T... his screenshots also show Verizon as the carrier, not AT&T. There's no doubt that AT&T is dragging with its wireless IPv6 implementation, but Verizon is running IPv6 on their 4G network, and devices should be able to get an IPv6 address if they're capable.

The iOS devices are definitely capable of IPv6. Very simple way to verify this - test it on your WiFi network (assuming your broadband provider offers IPv6). In my case, I have a /64 delegated IPv6 subnet from Comcast - works perfectly with my iOS devices on local WiFi network.

Whatever IPv6 issues exist on the cell data side are certainly the carriers' fault, and not Apple's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.