Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:36 AM   #1
gc15
macrumors member

Got a question about my contract ending.

My contract with Verizon will be ending this month on my iPhone 4. I am looking to upgrade, but I plan on to waiting to see what apple announces about the next generation; however that is not my question. I want to keep my unlimited data on my phone, which means I can't sign a new contract cause that would put me into their new plans. I could work with a set amount of data, but having unlimited would just be better. Anywho my question is, say I bought someone's used verizon iPhone 4S/5, could I put that phone onto my account without having to sign a new contract. Can I ask them to do that, and will they let me?
gc15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:26 AM   #2
tardman91
macrumors 6502a

Yes. It's very simple. Just call them up or stop by a Verizon store. I did this when the 4S came out and I was only about 6 months into my contract with my 4.
tardman91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

You used to be able to do it online (in my Verizon days). You probably still can.
Givmeabrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:35 AM   #4
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc15 View Post
I want to keep my unlimited data on my phone, which means I can't sign a new contract cause that would put me into their new plans.
Are you sure? With Sprint, every time I signed a new contract, my plan didn't change unless I chose to different one. Maybe VZW is different.
CoMoMacUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:10 AM   #5
tardman91
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMoMacUser View Post
Are you sure? With Sprint, every time I signed a new contract, my plan didn't change unless I chose to different one. Maybe VZW is different.
Yes. If you want a subsidized new phone you have to sign a new contract and are required to move into one of their tiered data plans. If you want to keep unlimited data you have to pay full price for a phone, and then pray that they don't decide to just do away with unlimited all together one day once all of the current customers who have it are no longer under contract. At that point they could decide to cancel it and say tough poop, since anyone who had it wouldn't be on contract they wouldn't be losing out by having to let them go without paying their ETFs.
tardman91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:38 AM   #6
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Just be very clear that you don't want to sign a new contract and want t continue month-to-month. Most people sign a new contract and the store employees will assume that you want to unless you tell them otherwise.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone