Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Aug 11, 2013, 05:05 PM   #1
awca22
macrumors newbie

Advice on buying this macbook pro!

A friend of mine is selling me his classic macbook pro 15 mid 2012 here are the specs:
2.6GHz Quad Core i7 Ivy Bridge Processor
Crucial Brand 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 Memory
Samsung Brand 830 Series SATA 6Gb/s 512GB SSD Drive
Hi-Resolution 1680x1050 Screen
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB Video Memory

He made the updates by itself the system was originally 8gb ram and 750 gb hdd; ( he is also including the 8gb ram memory and the hard drive)
Also he is giving me 2 Western Digital My Passport 2TB External USB3 Hard Drives
and a extra 85W Power Supplies.

He is selling me all this for 1955$ I dont know if this is a good deal, I was going to buy a MBA 13 i7 with 256-512gb ssd but he says this is better.

I would be using this for college CAD Software, Adobe Suite and some windows only apps.

Do you think that it would be good to buy my friend laptops or buy a new mba 13?
The battery cycle on his mbp is just 11 cycles.

Thanks hope you can assist me in the decission! He says it is a great deal but I think it is overpowered for me.

Also one of the things I found is that the mba has the new haswell processor and this mbp is still ivy bridge!

PD: Im a mechatronics and electrical engineer student 2 year, I use a lot LABVIEW, MATHLAB, SOLIDWORKS, AUTOCAD.

Last edited by awca22; Aug 11, 2013 at 05:16 PM.
awca22 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:29 PM   #2
koban4max
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by awca22 View Post
A friend of mine is selling me his classic macbook pro 15 mid 2012 here are the specs:
2.6GHz Quad Core i7 Ivy Bridge Processor
Crucial Brand 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 Memory
Samsung Brand 830 Series SATA 6Gb/s 512GB SSD Drive
Hi-Resolution 1680x1050 Screen
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB Video Memory

He made the updates by itself the system was originally 8gb ram and 750 gb hdd; ( he is also including the 8gb ram memory and the hard drive)
Also he is giving me 2 Western Digital My Passport 2TB External USB3 Hard Drives
and a extra 85W Power Supplies.

He is selling me all this for 1955$ I dont know if this is a good deal, I was going to buy a MBA 13 i7 with 256-512gb ssd but he says this is better.

I would be using this for college CAD Software, Adobe Suite and some windows only apps.

Do you think that it would be good to buy my friend laptops or buy a new mba 13?
The battery cycle on his mbp is just 11 cycles.

Thanks hope you can assist me in the decission! He says it is a great deal but I think it is overpowered for me.

Also one of the things I found is that the mba has the new haswell processor and this mbp is still ivy bridge!

PD: Im a mechatronics and electrical engineer student 2 year, I use a lot LABVIEW, MATHLAB, SOLIDWORKS, AUTOCAD.
wait till the new mbp comes out with new processor. by next two months.
koban4max is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 08:05 PM   #3
MacVibe
macrumors regular

If your friend has apple care for the computer then I think it is a fair deal with all the hardware. Your friend might make a little more by removing the upgrades and selling separately. For engineering, the computer is a lot more powerful than the air and the higher res screen is better for labview, etc. Without apple care I would be very hesitant to put $2,000 towards something that may fail the day after you get it, thereby costing you a lot of money and possibly souring a friendship.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:57 AM   #4
xnview
macrumors member

I don't think it's overpowered for engineering school, and the price seems good. I think you could manage with the MBA though if you prefer the portability and and battery life.
xnview is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:29 AM   #5
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

If comes with....

AppleCare and all the equipment and upgrades work without problems, there are not cosmetic or other functional issues, I can say, a good deal can be done in this.

Myself being an engineer, I would say, we always need more power.......

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice