Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:52 PM   #1
Abby9040
macrumors newbie

How to delete private data before repair

Im having problems with my Macbook Pro and right now all I get on it is Utility. I erased my Macintosh HD and Lion wont install. Even though Macintosh HD is there any way I can erase ALL personal data from my laptop before getting it repaired? Will setting the erase to the 7 step erase everything? I'm going to be taking it to Apple to get repaired and I want to make sure they have no access to anything on my hard drive. Thanks!
Abby9040 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:14 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby9040 View Post
Im having problems with my Macbook Pro and right now all I get on it is Utility. I erased my Macintosh HD and Lion wont install. Even though Macintosh HD is there any way I can erase ALL personal data from my laptop before getting it repaired? Will setting the erase to the 7 step erase everything? I'm going to be taking it to Apple to get repaired and I want to make sure they have no access to anything on my hard drive. Thanks!
Apple isn't going to go looking through your data. They don't have the time or the interest. They just want to fix your Mac and move on to the next customer. You don't have to worry about it.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:20 AM   #3
pellets007
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Apple isn't going to go looking through your data. They don't have the time or the interest. They just want to fix your Mac and move on to the next customer. You don't have to worry about it.
I wish this were true. However, as Apple is made up of individual employees there are bad eggs. Gizmodo reported on several Apple stores looking through consumers' laptops for inappropriate and revealing images. There was an instance where they found a girl naked doing a handstand. This image was then emailed across staff. This all went down in Apple retail stores where there's a consumer front. I'd hate to see the mailing repair centers.
pellets007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air