Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:31 PM   #1
JMC231
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
In need of some help deciding on an upgrade.

Hi,

I'm new to this site and would really appreciate some help. I currently have a mid 2009 macbook pro and would like to upgrade to something current. My normal use includes word processing, lphoto, imovie, basic illustrator, occasional gaming (warcraft, civilization and such-not a priority). I would like to also explore more advanced video editing and graphic design. So my issue is which laptop to invest in. I figure 3-5 years is a reasonable life expectancy given Apple's track record. Ideally I would hook this up to an external monitor. I'm figuring on a budget between $2,000 to $2,500. I ruled out the imac because I do need the occasional portability. I've been reading so much I'm getting snowblind MBA, MBP rMBP...so many choices lol.

Any help in making a decision would be a big help.
JMC231 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:32 PM   #2
undies1993
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tampa, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC231 View Post
Hi,

I'm new to this site and would really appreciate some help. I currently have a mid 2009 macbook pro and would like to upgrade to something current. My normal use includes word processing, lphoto, imovie, basic illustrator, occasional gaming (warcraft, civilization and such-not a priority). I would like to also explore more advanced video editing and graphic design. So my issue is which laptop to invest in. I figure 3-5 years is a reasonable life expectancy given Apple's track record. Ideally I would hook this up to an external monitor. I'm figuring on a budget between $2,000 to $2,500. I ruled out the imac because I do need the occasional portability. I've been reading so much I'm getting snowblind MBA, MBP rMBP...so many choices lol.

Any help in making a decision would be a big help.
What are the specs of your current MBP? Are they sufficient?
__________________
Mid 2012 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display; iPhone 5, AT&T, 16 gb, Black; new iPad, 32gb, WiFi, Black; Tv 3rd Gen
undies1993 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:42 PM   #3
JMC231
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by undies1993 View Post
What are the specs of your current MBP? Are they sufficient?
Hi,
I have a 2.8GHz core 2 doe with 8GB ram and running 10.6.8. is it still viable. My only small issue is no airplay.
JMC231 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:43 PM   #4
Giuly
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Why don't you install 10.8 Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store, then?
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:08 PM   #5
undies1993
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tampa, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
Why don't you install 10.8 Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store, then?
Exactly.
__________________
Mid 2012 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display; iPhone 5, AT&T, 16 gb, Black; new iPad, 32gb, WiFi, Black; Tv 3rd Gen
undies1993 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:13 PM   #6
JMC231
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by undies1993 View Post
Exactly.
So 10.8 will keep this a viable machine for awhile?
JMC231 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:33 PM   #7
Giuly
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
At least it will give you AirPlay, which is what you wanted, no?

A RAM upgrade and an SSD might be worth the ~$200, too.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:37 PM   #8
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816
 
phoenixsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
My concern with your computer....

will be that some next OS upgrade let it in the cold, if that is a 2008 machine. For the uses you mention, can be a viable machine maybe for 3 more years. But again, not so sure how many biig cats coming can support down the line (Mac OS X upgrades). If supports 10.9 (when coming) maybe you have that 3 years as a safe shot


__________________
Mac Pro 2012 3.06 Westmere version, 12 Core 64 GB RAM, 4 TB , iPhone 5 (black), Moto G 8 GB (black)
phoenixsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:43 PM   #9
JMC231
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
At least it will give you AirPlay, which is what you wanted, no?

A RAM upgrade and an SSD might be worth the ~$200, too.
I thought it was maxed at 8GB can I do 16? I thought I heard that mid 2009 and/ or 2010 can't use airplay or was I misinformed.
JMC231 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:54 PM   #10
JMC231
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
At least it will give you AirPlay, which is what you wanted, no?

A RAM upgrade and an SSD might be worth the ~$200, too.
I thought it was maxed at 8GB can I do 16? I thought I heard that mid 2009 and/ or 2010 can't use airplay or was I misinformed.
JMC231 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:21 PM   #11
Giuly
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Have you tried AirParrot?

But by all means, go for the rMBP.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:56 PM   #12
JMC231
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
Have you tried AirParrot?

But by all means, go for the rMBP.
wow

Thanks!
JMC231 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Resolved: Help deciding Compile MacBook Air 18 Sep 3, 2013 10:59 PM
Need Help Deciding.... NbinHD iMac 0 Jul 11, 2013 08:01 AM
I need help deciding! Krimsonmyst Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 10 Apr 18, 2013 08:22 PM
Help deciding which one please! bigboar MacBook Pro 9 Nov 23, 2012 01:35 PM
Need help deciding ~ xSyao MacBook Pro 0 Jun 15, 2012 10:13 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC