Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
I did a couple searches on this problem and it seems to be pretty prominent... my question is if I take it to the store:

1. Will they fix it? If so, is it free?

2. How long will it take?

3. Should I even bother? It's very tiny...

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
is it a new machine?

I found 4 stuck pixels on mine, 1 was able to fix by rubbing it so I might be taking it back

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
is it a new machine?

I found 4 stuck pixels on mine, 1 was able to fix by rubbing it so I might be taking it back

Yeah, not even a week old. I only see (found) one. But is it free for replacement or what? I do live near an apple store.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
I believe that the display should be PERFECT.

After all, the screen IS the focal point of the computer. And we sure as heck PAY enough for these things.

Apple should replace your computer.

Repair? Of a brand new computer? Ridiculous!

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Yeah, not even a week old. I only see (found) one. But is it free for replacement or what? I do live near an apple store.
If it is not even a week old, you are still within the return policy. Apple will exchange the computer for you. Get it done as quickly as possible!

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
If it is not even a week old, you are still within the return policy. Apple will exchange the computer for you. Get it done as quickly as possible!

They will exchange it even if I updated iTunes and downloaded programs etc.?

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
They will exchange it even if I updated iTunes and downloaded programs etc.?
Yes, they are required to provide an exchange for you for a period of 14 days. Apple reformats any computer you exchange. They are not responsible for the data on the exchanged computer.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
Mine has the same pixel issue and I haven't been bothered enough by it to send it to Apple. It appeared a few months after I bought my machine though.

Amad3U5

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
Sydney
Hopefully, this is a stuck pixel, which is relatively easy to fix. Just download this program, and run it for a few hours until the pixel is restored. The program just flashes native RGB signals to the screen in order to "wake up" stuck pixels, which are just pixels that have "fallen asleep", which can be for various reasons.

If this doesn't work, it can be one of two things:

- A dead pixel (a pixel that is physically broken or damaged, in which case you can demand a refund from Apple if the machine is new),

- A problem with the GPU. This is probably the least likely explanation, but either way you can get it replaced or fixed by Apple (hopefully).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.