Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:07 PM   #76
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
Varmint is a word.
That page makes me sad.

Quote:
In such cases, humans often choose to fill the role of the predator to limit the danger to the environment. A prime example of vermin is goats on the Galápagos Islands. Rats, mice, and cockroaches are common urban and suburban vermin.
I like goats.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:33 PM   #77
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
While Appalachia certainly is viewed romantically by certain people, most people think of the movie Deliverance when they hear of the place. Other than lending cartoonists fodder for the big screen, Appalachia has not done our language any favors.
Meh, you could say the same thing about "ya'll" and ghetto slang, which I would venture to say is a far worse plight.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:40 AM   #78
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
What's with this whole 'varmint' thing. It's not a biological or legal definition so it must be some kind of justification for killing animals.
It's worked its way into the vernacular of gun enthusiasts, and the gun companies themselves. Google the terms "varmint gun" and "varmint rifle" and you'll see what I mean.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:52 AM   #79
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Shooting jacks and coyotes is always a good time. If you haven't tried it, I recommend it.

Using suppressors and AR15's makes it even more fun, especially when spot lighting.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:08 PM   #80
glocke12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Meh, you could say the same thing about "ya'll" and ghetto slang, which I would venture to say is a far worse plight.
you mean this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39kmFwnD4Ys
glocke12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:24 PM   #81
Hawkeye16
macrumors regular

Those that say you do not need an AR to hunt are right. But you also do not need a vehicle to get to work, the store, your families, etc. Some stuff is just a lot easier to do with the right tools.

Hunting with a good AR and scope is a preference of a lot of people over a bolt action rifle.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:52 AM   #82
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
That page makes me sad.

I like goats.
I have nothing against goats, or cats, or dogs, even rats.

But the fact is Human's have introduced animals and plants to areas with no natural predators, and they devastate the fauna.

I would prefer trapping, but that cost far more then hunting, and money is always in short supply.

Humans are incredibly destructive, needlessly. We know it, but it is hard to change habits.
PracticalMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:53 AM   #83
eric/

And you can wind up trapping other animals, that you don't want to trap.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues