Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ans-vote-to-add-cat-toss-iron-tokens/1895309/

Scottie dog has a new nemesis in Monopoly: Fans voted in an online contest to add a cat token to the property trading game, replacing the iron, toy maker Hasbro announced Wednesday.

The results were announced after the shoe, wheelbarrow and iron were neck and neck in the final hours of voting that sparked passionate efforts by fans to save their favorite tokens and businesses eager to capitalize on publicity surrounding pieces that represent their products.

Better hang on to your soon-to-be vintage iron tokens. They might be worth a quarter some day! I liked the iron mostly because it was flat and didn't tip over. But that's my only reason for liking it.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
My mother was always the shoe, my father was the top hat, my sister was dog, my elder brother was the auto, I was the locomotive, my uncle if he was playing would take was was left mostly thimble. :D

photo-10_zps7789b1a1.jpg

The pieces from my family game.

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
We used to play the MS-DOS version. :D Less messier, no cleanup, and no banker required. I didn't get to play the board version until much, much later.

Also had the Sega Genesis version. There used to be an online version I used to play with one of my friends too. Now my brother and I play the iOS version.

I used to be the dog, but the thimble was actually pretty popular when me and my parents used to play the board game. I don't think anyone ever used the iron.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
In my family the iron was banned because everybody used to fight over it, whereas there was no arguing over our second choices.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
The iron would never have been removed if Steve Jobs were alive.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Is nothing sacred any more? Sigh.

My mother was always the shoe, my father was the top hat, my sister was dog, my elder brother was the auto, I was the locomotive, my uncle if he was playing would take was was left mostly thimble. :D

The pieces from my family game.

That is a very sweet post Happybunny; I like the attached picture - brings back memories I must say.

In my family the iron was banned because everybody used to fight over it, whereas there was no arguing over our second choices.

Guffaw - I like it; what was so attractive about the iron - its stability (perhaps implying financial stability) or the fact that it was a cool (but sometimes, hot) icon? I must say I rather liked it myself.....

The iron would never have been removed if Steve Jobs were alive.

Quite right, too.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I always used the car. I could zip around in that sucker.

Replacing the iron with a kitty cat is fine by me. Just leave the car alone.

thank you very much.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Guffaw - I like it; what was so attractive about the iron - its stability (perhaps implying financial stability) or the fact that it was a cool (but sometimes, hot) icon? I must say I rather liked it myself.....

I have no idea what the attraction was, but for some reason we all wanted it (me, my brother and our friends), hence Mum banning us from having it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.