Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jun 9, 2013, 07:48 PM   #1
Melan
macrumors regular

Alarm app that can activate upon receiving an email?

Hi all,

I'm on the hunt for an alarm app that can activate the alarm upon receiving an email. Somehow. Right now I am working a job co-ordinating a tripping program and we're using SPOT devices out in the field to check in. On these devices you can press "ok", "help" or "911". You can specify different settings for each option, so a different set of people are emailed or texted when different buttons are pressed.

Problem is, where i am there is no phone service so I am looking for a mac app that can wake me up in case anyone hits "help" or "911" on the device. My idea is to leave my mac on next to my bed each night in case this should happen. Then have screamo or something playing if it does.

Does anyone know of an app for macs like this? Appreciate any help you can give in advance!

Tim
Melan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 01:13 PM   #2
Melan
macrumors regular

Buump. Something like this has to exist doesn't it?
Melan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 01:34 PM   #3
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Tip #5 in the article linked to may be of some help:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1159394/mailrules.html
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 06:26 PM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melan View Post
Buump. Something like this has to exist doesn't it?
Just playing off the above tip.

Setup a rule in Mail that watches for the email address you will receive the messages from. Then have that trigger an Applescript.

Use the text below for your Applescript. Change the section within the quotes to whatever you want. When a message comes in that triggers the rule tour Mac will talk to you and say the words in the quotes.

Code:
say "Hey Melan stuff is going down and you need to wake up"
Weaselboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 07:58 AM   #5
Melan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Just playing off the above tip.

Setup a rule in Mail that watches for the email address you will receive the messages from. Then have that trigger an Applescript.

Use the text below for your Applescript. Change the section within the quotes to whatever you want. When a message comes in that triggers the rule tour Mac will talk to you and say the words in the quotes.

Code:
say "Hey Melan stuff is going down and you need to wake up"
Oh great point, thanks! I don't use Mail but maybe I will switch over for this. Thanks!
Melan is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store