Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacOSXuser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto
So this question is for the new iMac, there is no optical drive, which means I cannot optibay it. Here's the case, I have two SSDs, one is for OS and the other one for files.

I can of course use a external hard drives USB 3.0 speed for the secondary SSD but I want SATA3 speed, when I am accessing files from my primary drive, I want SATA3 speed performance. Is there any way I can achieve this?

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
From the image in the keynote it looks like you can have one 3.5" (or 2.5" possibly with the right bracket) drive and one 'blade' style SSD like the ones used in the Air and Retina macbooks.

trigf

Suspended
Jun 16, 2009
From the image in the keynote it looks like you can have one 3.5" (or 2.5" possibly with the right bracket) drive and one 'blade' style SSD like the ones used in the Air and Retina macbooks.

Right on both counts. In fact, the 21 inch model uses 5400 RPM 2.5 inch notebook drives, but also can take a "blade" style SSD (which is used for the Fusion Drive).

The 27 inch has 2 bays- a standard 3.5 inch and the SSD "blade style" bay.

As far as the OP wanting to put 2 SSD's - not going to happen :(

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
If you want to use your own SSDs, you could always put them in an external Thunderbolt enclosure. That shouldn't compromise speed much if at all.

Aspen

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
Right on both counts. In fact, the 21 inch model uses 5400 RPM 2.5 inch notebook drives, but also can take a "blade" style SSD (which is used for the Fusion Drive).

The 27 inch has 2 bays- a standard 3.5 inch and the SSD "blade style" bay.

As far as the OP wanting to put 2 SSD's - not going to happen :(

If I understand this correctly, the 21.5" iMac that I have has the 1TB Fusion drive but I could add a 2.5" 5400 rpm (or maybe 7200) drive also housed internally?

I hate to ask such a question but would OSX automatically recognize it or would an additional OSX need to be added?

Thanks.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
If I understand this correctly, the 21.5" iMac that I have has the 1TB Fusion drive but I could add a 2.5" 5400 rpm (or maybe 7200) drive also housed internally?

I hate to ask such a question but would OSX automatically recognize it or would an additional OSX need to be added?

Thanks.

The 1TB Fusion drive is already two drives, a 1TB 2.5" hard drive in the internal bay and a 128GB SSD in the blade-style SSD slot.

There isn't any room for more drives than you already have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.