Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:01 PM   #51
Hyper-X
macrumors 6502a

Not this again. Look, it's no secret as to the MBP's battery life. Even on a non-retina MBP, nearly half of the bottom unit is a battery. In the retina MBP over 50% of the unit is a battery.

If the MBP's battery life was so awesome you wouldn't see Macrumors posts in the Macbook section complaining about it.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 05:06 AM   #52
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

Well.. benefit of making hardware and software i guess
Old Mar 12, 2013, 05:11 AM   #53
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper-X View Post
Not this again. Look, it's no secret as to the MBP's battery life. Even on a non-retina MBP, nearly half of the bottom unit is a battery. In the retina MBP over 50% of the unit is a battery.

If the MBP's battery life was so awesome you wouldn't see Macrumors posts in the Macbook section complaining about it.
Actually, you would. People complain about everything.

And 95% of the time, if you're experiencing battery issues on the MBP, it's a software problem.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 05:24 AM   #54
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaertus View Post
I would like to know how the retina MacBook Pro would perform, in terms of battery life, running Windows 8 on BootCamp...
This. I'd like to know if it was the hardware or the software (or both) that contributes to the lesser battery life in non-Apple notebooks.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 05:27 AM   #55
Kitman
macrumors newbie

"Which? is known for scientific approach and detail in its testing."

Not by me, it isn't: each time it covers an area where I have some expertise, I notice it has missed the point/hasn't understood the product/lacks rigour in testing and appraisal.
Kitman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 05:54 AM   #56
skaertus
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
This. I'd like to know if it was the hardware or the software (or both) that contributes to the lesser battery life in non-Apple notebooks.
OS X is known to consume less battery than Windows. So, battery life would take a hit if the MacBook Pro was running Windows instead of OS X. I would like to know, however, by how much.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 06:26 AM   #57
Concorde Rules
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
My 2010 MacBook Pro gets *pathetic* battery life if the GeForce card kicks in - which is ALL THE TIME.

I tried using gfxCardStatus to disable it, but it just causes some things to crash.

My battery has 91% life (6308 mAh of 6900 mAh), but I still only get around 2 Hours of battery on a full charge.
Then there is something wrong with your mac or what your doing with it.

My 2010 15" still repeatedly manages to get 5 hours browsing life, and that is with two users logged in!!
Concorde Rules is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 09:05 AM   #58
MH01
macrumors 68030

Been living in UK for the last 7 years, never heard of Which?
MH01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:14 PM   #59
kyjaotkb
macrumors 6502

In other news, some smart-ass newspaper found that the BMW M5 has more horsepower than the Dacia Logan...

No kidding, is everyone so amazed that a $1800 laptop gets more battery than a bunch of $1000 laptops?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 09:41 PM   #60
Hyper-X
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Y View Post
Actually, you would. People complain about everything.

And 95% of the time, if you're experiencing battery issues on the MBP, it's a software problem.
People will find anything to complain about but saying 95% of the battery problems on a MBP being software is nothing but conjecture, there's nothing to support that as a fact in any degree. My MBP's battery is clearly of a larger capacity than any PC laptop I own (even with an extended capacity battery) and the rMBP has an array of batteries strung up together in which no other laptop (to my knowledge), has.

You can clearly see the comments from other folks, already concluding that OS X had to be more efficient simply due to the limited data being presented. To be completely fair all operating systems have to be tested on the exact same piece of hardware to make such a statement.

The same could be same for the opposite scenario, would OS X fair decently on a non-Macbook PC (assuming all drivers amongst other things are available) designed to run on Windows 7 or 8? We won't know until it's actually done.

The closest I've seen as a fair test is on a Hackintosh which runs both OS X and Windows. In my experience I don't see any significant change in battery times using either OS, in fact it's close enough to be insignificant.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:26 AM   #61
Winni
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
Is it because Mountain Lion is 'leaner' overall than Windows 8 or just has better power saving algorithms?
Maybe someone should compare systems from the very same price range with Apple's high-cost equipment and not systems that according to the article cost 500 British Pounds LESS than the Apple notebook?

Comparisons of battery lifetime are first and foremost SPECS comparisons; things that Apple users love to hate. So if you want to nail the difference on the software platform you can only do so by either comparing systems with the same hardware specifications -- OR -- by running both software platforms on the SAME computer. So how much difference is there between Windows 8 and OS X on that MacBook Pro? THAT would have been a comparison that actually means something. What we see here is just FUD.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 02:07 PM   #62
printz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaertus View Post
OS X is known to consume less battery than Windows.
I wonder if Hackintosh laptops have the same benefit if they run OS X or it's just the Mac preferring OS X
printz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 06:51 PM   #63
elppa
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni View Post
So how much difference is there between Windows 8 and OS X on that MacBook Pro? THAT would have been a comparison that actually means something. What we see here is just FUD.
Apple does a lot of optimisation in OS X for their own hardware which simply isn't done on Windows. In addition the Windows bootcamp drivers Apple supplies are rarely as well optimised as their OS X equivalents.

It would still come out in the favour of OS X and it would be even less fair.
elppa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:46 PM   #64
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

Compare these laptops either all running W8 or all running OS X (via hackintosh)
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:04 AM   #65
PeteJames
macrumors regular

I'm pretty impressed in battery life improvements. I think my 4 year old macbook pro barely made it 2 or 2.5 hours from new.

What could I roughly expect from the 15 inch retina macbook pro?
PeteJames is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:36 PM   #66
tekboi
macrumors 6502a

Makes sense since the MBP isn't touch screen and no longer has an optical drive. Compare those to a 2011 MBP and lets see what happens...
tekboi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 03:54 PM   #67
tmiw
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
My 2010 MacBook Pro gets *pathetic* battery life if the GeForce card kicks in - which is ALL THE TIME.

I tried using gfxCardStatus to disable it, but it just causes some things to crash.

My battery has 91% life (6308 mAh of 6900 mAh), but I still only get around 2 Hours of battery on a full charge.
I have the same exact laptop and have had no real problems with gfxCardStatus. However, I think you might not be getting all of the benefits from it because (at least for me) it seems to constantly switch back to "dynamic switching". I notice this most often with Google Chrome when I have to exit it for updates. Which version did you try?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 04:19 PM   #68
cjmillsnun
macrumors 65816

Really they should've been testing this with a 13" cMBP rather than a rMBP. It would get the price comparisons closer.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion