Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redrum509

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
I'm selling my macbook air. I was wondering if there is a way for me to delete all my info on my macbook air so the new owner can't use it? I don't really care
about the info that much as I don't have many pictures or apps installed. If I do a back up with time machine will that be able to be used on my new macbook air? Thanks

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I'm selling my macbook air. I was wondering if there is a way for me to delete all my info on my macbook air so the new owner can't use it? I don't really care
about the info that much as I don't have many pictures or apps installed. If I do a back up with time machine will that be able to be used on my new macbook air? Thanks

If your MBA was shipped with Lion or Mountain Lion, then simply restoring it should be enough to prevent the new buyer from accessing your information. And yes, if you back up your Mac via TM and connect it to the new MBA when you're setting it up, then you should have the option to restore your system from the backup.

Redrum509

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
If your MBA was shipped with Lion or Mountain Lion, then simply restoring it should be enough to prevent the new buyer from accessing your information. And yes, if you back up your Mac via TM and connect it to the new MBA when you're setting it up, then you should have the option to restore your system from the backup.

by connecting to new MBA do you mean with a cord or something? Or could I sell the MBA first than buy a new one than restore and my info would be on there?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
by connecting to new MBA do you mean with a cord or something? Or could I sell the MBA first than buy a new one than restore and my info would be on there?

No, no , no. I mean connecting the TM device to your new MBA. Once you have your current MBA backed up, you shouldn't really need it for anything at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.