Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old May 31, 2013, 10:41 PM   #76
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleman View Post
Yes that's true. But as is the case in most of the universe, rules only keep the honest people honest. If I wanted to I could do a reset and have the camera active on my phone. If I get caught then I would lose my job. But unless security is willing to do a full cavity search on everyone, everyday, then there is always a security risk. Blocking the camera phones reduces the risk to a reasonable level.
And more importantly, satisfies the customer.
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 04:19 PM   #77
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Yes that's true. But as is the case in most of the universe, rules only keep the honest people honest. If I wanted to I could do a reset and have the camera active on my phone. If I get caught then I would lose my job. But unless security is willing to do a full cavity search on everyone, everyday, then there is always a security risk. Blocking the camera phones reduces the risk to a reasonable level.
No, that's fair enough. Some places simply won't let you bring a camera phone, no matter what. As long as it's sorted. nice. I know I'd be a bit annoyed that I couldn't use my camera at any point, though!
Old Jun 1, 2013, 06:22 PM   #78
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
No, that's fair enough. Some places simply won't let you bring a camera phone, no matter what. As long as it's sorted. nice. I know I'd be a bit annoyed that I couldn't use my camera at any point, though!
The camera on my iPad Mini is still pretty good and my Nikon camera is excellent.
pooleman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2013, 01:15 AM   #79
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
The camera on my iPad Mini is still pretty good and my Nikon camera is excellent.
Yes, but you're unlikely to carry those with you all the time.
WilliamG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2013, 07:51 AM   #80
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Yes, but you're unlikely to carry those with you all the time.
For those of us who work for this defense contractor, we either have to (1) give up our phone during the entire workweek, (2) not have a camera when we're out of work on our phone, or (3) have two phones. I do a combination of (2) and (3). No matter what you do, it's a trade-off.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 08:33 AM   #81
kevink2
macrumors 6502a

Setting up call forwarding to an office phone could be used during the day if you left the phone in the car. Or get an old phone that doesn't have a camera, and an inexpensive prepaid plan (or, if have a family plan, add it to that) and automatically forward to that if you can take the phone in. That way, people only have to try 1 number to reach you.

I've been in places where phones aren't allowed period. There has been only one place where phones were allowed, but not camera phones. I bought an inexpensive camera less phone for that years ago, but never had the situation arise again
kevink2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2013, 09:05 AM   #82
E.Lizardo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Hello all,

I just accepted a new position at a defense plant that doesn't allow any camera phones into the facility. Has anyone had to remove the cameras from an iPhone before? Is there a software solution that effectively removes camera capability?
Maybe a cheap phone+call forwarding?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR45 View Post
Oh great...Remove camera prior to going to work, re-install camera when off work, than remove camera again next day work day and so on. Makes no sense. Not to mention screwing around with the darn thing may void the warranty if something goes wrong.

I buy the iPhone for all the functions it has, not to disable/remove it nonsense
Maybe his job is not for you then.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:25 AM   #83
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Final update:

I brought my iPhone to the AT&T store and they disabled the camera through the parental controls. AT&T then gave me a letter that I brought to the security office of my new company. The new company looked at the phone and blessed it as "secure". I'm good to go.
Wonderful to hear you didn't give into the extremely helpful "leave it in the car" crowd.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Lizardo View Post
Maybe a cheap phone+call forwarding?

----------

Maybe his job is not for you then.
You really should read the OP's subsequent responses to the thread.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:53 AM   #84
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink2 View Post
Setting up call forwarding to an office phone could be used during the day if you left the phone in the car. Or get an old phone that doesn't have a camera, and an inexpensive prepaid plan (or, if have a family plan, add it to that) and automatically forward to that if you can take the phone in. That way, people only have to try 1 number to reach you.

I've been in places where phones aren't allowed period. There has been only one place where phones were allowed, but not camera phones. I bought an inexpensive camera less phone for that years ago, but never had the situation arise again
Or I could just do what I already said I did. The iPhone is so much more than a phone with a camera in it. Yes, call forwarding does solve the "phone" problem. But it does not solve the text, email, iPod music, iMessage, notes, reminders, radio problem. Need I go on?
Old Jun 2, 2013, 07:54 PM   #85
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Or I could just do what I already said I did. The iPhone is so much more than a phone with a camera in it. Yes, call forwarding does solve the "phone" problem. But it does not solve the text, email, iPod music, iMessage, notes, reminders, radio problem. Need I go on?
^^This. Same for me.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone