Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:17 PM   #1
Gjwilly
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2011
DealExtreme Lightning cables

Has anyone tried the Lightning cables from DealExtreme that supposedly have the authentication IC in them?
Gjwilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Sheldonsmith
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2011
No have not tried, but apparently iOS 7 is going to require Apple cables exclusively, even for charging. My battery pack with a build in Lightning cable apparently will not work with iOS 7. Will know Wednesday when iOS 7 drops.
__________________
Sheldon Smith
www.minus4plus6.com
Sheldonsmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 01:58 PM   #3
webslinger85
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonsmith View Post
No have not tried, but apparently iOS 7 is going to require Apple cables exclusively, even for charging. My battery pack with a build in Lightning cable apparently will not work with iOS 7. Will know Wednesday when iOS 7 drops.
That's not what i've heard. From what i've seen, they'll work, but a notification will pop up telling you it's an unofficial cable
__________________
iPhone 5 16gb, iPad 3 16gb, 2nd gen iPod Touch 16gb
webslinger85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 03:47 PM   #4
Zmanbaseball2
macrumors 68040
 
Zmanbaseball2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonsmith View Post
No have not tried, but apparently iOS 7 is going to require Apple cables exclusively, even for charging. My battery pack with a build in Lightning cable apparently will not work with iOS 7. Will know Wednesday when iOS 7 drops.
I have a non apple certified iPhone 5 battery case and it works with iOS 7 but I get the error but it still charges. The same thing happens for 3 of my lightning cables. They still charge and sync.
I'm on iOS 7 GM
__________________
-iPhone 5 16GB Black; iPod Touch 5 32GB Blue; iPad 1 Wifi 64GB; iPad Air 32GB Wifi White
-MacBook 2.2GHz Mid 2014
Zmanbaseball2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 07:08 PM   #5
Gjwilly
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonsmith View Post
No have not tried, but apparently iOS 7 is going to require Apple cables exclusively, even for charging. My battery pack with a build in Lightning cable apparently will not work with iOS 7. Will know Wednesday when iOS 7 drops.
No, we already know.
Non-certified 3rd-party cables work just fine under iOS 7.
They do generate an on-screen notification but that doesn't stop them working.
Certified 3rd-party cables should work without the warning.
The DX cables are the cheapest I've ever seen that still claim the be Apple certified (or at least to have the certification chip in them) which is why I wondered if anyone had tried them.
I ordered a few but they haven't arrived yet. When they do I'll post an update.
Gjwilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 07:14 PM   #6
hakr100
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: East Coast
I bought a couple of Lightning cables for my iPhone 5 from Amazon, upgraded to IOS 7, and have not noticed any warnings or problems using the cables.

Bought the AmazonBasics USB A to Lightning Compatible Cable (3 Feet/0.9 Meter) for $13.00.
hakr100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:04 PM   #7
Gjwilly
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2011
Well it took almost a month but I finally got the Lightning cables that I'd ordered from DealExtreme. The ones that claim to have an authentication IC inside.
http://dx.com/p/lightning-8-pin-male...te-95cm-177876

They are the exact same size as the Apple cables and they do work with my iPhone 5 and iPad 4, both running iOS 7 with no warnings of any kind.
BUT......
They do not work with the iPhone 5S.
AND......
After trying them on the iPhone 5S, they no longer work on the iPhone 5.

I'm really wondering now if something in the 5S, either accidentally or intentionally, is frying certain unauthorized 3rd-party cables.
They work just fine before using them with the 5S and then after just one attempt, they never work again.

Same thing happened to three different cables.
Gjwilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:08 PM   #8
Zmanbaseball2
macrumors 68040
 
Zmanbaseball2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York, USA
DealExtreme Lightning cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjwilly View Post
Well it took almost a month but I finally got the Lightning cables that I'd ordered from DealExtreme. The ones that claim to have an authentication IC inside.
http://dx.com/p/lightning-8-pin-male...te-95cm-177876

They are the exact same size as the Apple cables and they do work with my iPhone 5 and iPad 4, both running iOS 7 with no warnings of any kind.
BUT......
They do not work with the iPhone 5S.
AND......
After trying them on the iPhone 5S, they no longer work on the iPhone 5.

I'm really wondering now if something in the 5S, either accidentally or intentionally, is frying certain unauthorized 3rd-party cables.
They work just fine before using them with the 5S and then after just one attempt, they never work again.

Same thing happened to three different cables.
Maybe the iPhone 5s puts a bad code on the chip making it not work. That's the strangest thing I have ever heard.
__________________
-iPhone 5 16GB Black; iPod Touch 5 32GB Blue; iPad 1 Wifi 64GB; iPad Air 32GB Wifi White
-MacBook 2.2GHz Mid 2014
Zmanbaseball2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:48 PM   #9
parrot5
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
My GENUINE iPhone 5 lightning cable bought in an Apple Store a year ago is also finicky on the iPhone 5s. So yours might not be because of a bad chip.
I find that it works if I restart the phone. And when it finishes charging and I UNPLUG it, then it will say the cable is not authorized (or whatever that error messages says). Go figure.
parrot5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 11:54 PM   #10
macsrcool1234
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrot5 View Post
My GENUINE iPhone 5 lightning cable bought in an Apple Store a year ago is also finicky on the iPhone 5s. So yours might not be because of a bad chip.
I find that it works if I restart the phone. And when it finishes charging and I UNPLUG it, then it will say the cable is not authorized (or whatever that error messages says). Go figure.
Wow this is just sad. They have become so obsessive and overbearing that even genuine cables are being flagged?
macsrcool1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 06:48 AM   #11
parrot5
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsrcool1234 View Post
Wow this is just sad. They have become so obsessive and overbearing that even genuine cables are being flagged?
And since there are so many knock-offs out there, I don't think Apple will honor the warranty and allow an exchange, so I think I'm stuck.
The cable that came with the 5s works consistently though.
parrot5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 07:17 AM   #12
deeddawg
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: US
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsrcool1234 View Post
They have become so obsessive and overbearing that even genuine cables are being flagged?
... or it could be there's a problem with the cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrot5 View Post
And since there are so many knock-offs out there, I don't think Apple will honor the warranty and allow an exchange, so I think I'm stuck.
I wouldn't make that assumption.

If you just give up and don't even try, there's zero chance of replacement.
Or you could take the phone, cable, and receipt in and ask nicely. You might find they're not as draconian as you fear.

I swapped out a pair of the new style headphones a couple months ago in-store. Couldn't have been simpler; walked in, explained the problem with them, woman helping me grabbed a new pair off the wall for me, took my name/email for the exchange receipt and sent me on my way in under five minutes total.
deeddawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:57 PM   #13
E3BK
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
I bought these from Amazon, 2 pack for $5.49. Works great on the 5S. One of the reviews said they had trouble using it with the wall plug but it worked fine for me.
E3BK is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lightning cables are different for the 5S and 5? DDar iPhone Accessories 13 Oct 3, 2013 11:49 AM
iPad Mini: Anyone try these Lightning Cables? pat park iPad Accessories 2 Jan 29, 2013 12:30 PM
Lightning cables nelly22 Mac Peripherals 0 Nov 29, 2012 11:54 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC