Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9, 2013, 05:23 PM   #501
flottenheimer
macrumors 6502a
 
flottenheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Up north
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
But the difference is - not everything the S4 does requires internet and/or data usage. So yes - you can get SIMILAR features for SOME things - but not all. Just like some here (not me) would argue that Siri is on the iPhone and there are other apps you can have on Android - but they will never be Siri.
Smartphones — all of them, pick any make or model — would be able to do almost nothing without data/internet.
I really don't get your point.

And yeah, Siri use data. So does Mail, Safari, App Store, Maps, Weather, YouTube, Stock, Podcasts etc. The Siri computation is done remotely, but who cares. Your Weather App doesn't figure out the weather itself, either.
Like I said, I really don't get your point.
__________________
A computer is like a bicycle for the mind.
Steve Jobs
flottenheimer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 06:35 PM   #502
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by flottenheimer View Post
Smartphones — all of them, pick any make or model — would be able to do almost nothing without data/internet.
I really don't get your point.

And yeah, Siri use data. So does Mail, Safari, App Store, Maps, Weather, YouTube, Stock, Podcasts etc. The Siri computation is done remotely, but who cares. Your Weather App doesn't figure out the weather itself, either.
Like I said, I really don't get your point.
To use the iPhone as a smart remote - you have to have an internet connection. What if your TV doesn't have internet capabilities.

To use the iPhone to transfer pictures or address cards - you need to install an app - BUMP. With the S4 - it's integrated into the OS.

The point is - you and/or others want to argue that these are useless features or don't mean anything because the iPhone can do it - but the fact is - they can't do ALL of them - nor does it "just work" - you need to install a 3rd party app.

I am not arguing in favor of the S4. But I don't see how you simply can't admit that (for example) having an IR is actually a better way to handle controlling a TV and gives access to a greater spectrum of owners vs downloading an app which requires internet - if your TV doesn't have internet.

Still don't get my point? If not - then I think that's your issue.

Last edited by samcraig; May 9, 2013 at 06:45 PM.
samcraig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 05:26 PM   #503
flottenheimer
macrumors 6502a
 
flottenheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Up north
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
To use the iPhone as a smart remote - you have to have an internet connection. What if your TV doesn't have internet capabilities.

To use the iPhone to transfer pictures or address cards - you need to install an app - BUMP. With the S4 - it's integrated into the OS.

The point is - you and/or others want to argue that these are useless features or don't mean anything because the iPhone can do it - but the fact is - they can't do ALL of them - nor does it "just work" - you need to install a 3rd party app.

I am not arguing in favor of the S4. But I don't see how you simply can't admit that (for example) having an IR is actually a better way to handle controlling a TV and gives access to a greater spectrum of owners vs downloading an app which requires internet - if your TV doesn't have internet....
I'll gladly admit that an IR sensor is a better solution than app+wi-fi. But if your tv is on wi-fi, and you are OK with downloading an app, there is a tv-remote solution for iPhone. Basically, I just don't think the feature in itself is a big deal. I go for my tv-remote, when I want to control my tv. Physical TV-remote buttons happen to be superior to any smartphone/remote interface, imho (I love being able to control my tv, without even looking at my remote).

If you try to 'S-Beam' your S4 with most other smartphones, nothing will happen. If you 'Bump' two smartphones — almost any make or model — with the 'Bump' app installed, sync will happen. I don't see how one solution is superior to the other. But I'd love for a common, open standard to enter the market and be adopted by all smartphone makers.

I was attacking two of the S4 USPs communicated in the ad, which I found to be weak. They are weak.
If you are shopping for an Android phone with a big screen, the S4 is a great choice, indeed. I'll be happy to recommend it even. But does the S4 offer a better smartphone experience than the iPhone5? I don't think so.
__________________
A computer is like a bicycle for the mind.
Steve Jobs

Last edited by flottenheimer; May 10, 2013 at 05:33 PM.
flottenheimer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 07:20 PM   #504
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by flottenheimer View Post
But does the S4 offer a better smartphone experience than the iPhone5? I don't think so.
That last statement is subjective. It all depends on an individual's use case. But you're entitled to your opinion.
samcraig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 05:39 PM   #505
jeffe
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by flottenheimer View Post
If you try to 'S-Beam' your S4 with most other smartphones, nothing will happen.
This is not exactly true. S-Beam is actually an extension of Android feature called Android Beam.

If you try s-beam with a S4 and another NFC capable Android phone running jelly bean (maybe ics?), it should transfer the data using Android Beam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flottenheimer View Post
But I'd love for a common, open standard to enter the market and be adopted by all smartphone makers.
It exists right here: http://www.android.com/whatsnew/ (see android beam)
jeffe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 10:17 PM   #506
skratch77
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
NFC data transferres are nothing like the bump app.I downloaded a whole album torrent and blasted it to 2 of my friends phones in less then 2 min.it was like 300mb worth of music and they both got it and saved on there SD cards in there phones.

I just WiFi directed a movie to my brothers gs3 and it took about 4 min to transfer almost 1gb.

Bump is a complete joke compared to WiFi direct and android beam(s beam on galaxy phones)

Here is a video on using it and you don't need a WiFi network or internet its a direct connection to a phone or phones and once you save and approve a phone it automatically knows it and all you do is click the WiFi direct on in the setting and just send files at ease.

Check it out and bump app from what I've heard is it sends the info into the cloud and back threw the network to the other phone and is not a direct connection between phones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM3Q1...e_gdata_player

Last edited by skratch77; May 11, 2013 at 10:35 PM.
skratch77 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 01:08 AM   #507
flottenheimer
macrumors 6502a
 
flottenheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Up north
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
That last statement is subjective. It all depends on an individual's use case. But you're entitled to your opinion.
That is why I wrote 'I'.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffe View Post
...It exists right here: http://www.android.com/whatsnew/ (see android beam)
There are open standards for almost everything. What is lacking is adoption.
__________________
A computer is like a bicycle for the mind.
Steve Jobs
flottenheimer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014, 01:13 AM   #508
mambo966
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Caribbean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
What that picture tells me is that iPhone users have a device they think looks cool, and does look cool (in a really overdone corny sorta way), but is completely useless in any real world situations.

Probably not the message you're trying to spread here.
Yeah, and the flimsy army knife is great in real world situations :roll eyes:
mambo966 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Samsung Releases New Galaxy S III Ad Poking Fun at iPhone 5 Launch MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 227 Dec 18, 2012 10:28 AM
Another Samsung ad pokes fun at Apple's iPhone 5 borcanm iPhone 1 Sep 20, 2012 05:36 AM
Late Night TV Pokes Fun at iPhone 5 Mania MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 74 Sep 19, 2012 06:52 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC