Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2012
So I upgraded my 750GB 7200 RPM HDD to a samsung 840 pro 256GB SSD and I upgraded the RAM from 8GB to 16GB myself. It wasn't hard and I'm a systems engineer so I know what I'm doing. I'm using the late june 2012 classic macbook pro 15 the high end 2.6ghz model. I did the restore by doing a fresh install of OSX the latest update and copied the files over.

After I upgraded I noticed my macbook pro was still running hot especially when using the graphics card (playing a game for example). I mean hot to a point where I cannot use the mac at all. Just out of thought I decided to check the fans by opening the chasis. I noticed one of the fans don't rotate easily but the left one does. I turned the mac on and saw the fan wasn't rotating. I'm assuming both are suppose to run.

Currently I have the mac plugged in and I installed "fan control 1.2" the RPM is at 0 for the right fan and 2000 for the left fan. It says the temperature is 57c. I'm just browsing the internet and I dont have any apps loaded besides chrome.

My question is before I call Apple is there anything above that I said that would void my warranty? Can I just call Apple with my upgraded parts and have them replace the fan? I'm use to calling Dell or HP and they don't care if anything was upgraded since they are user upgradable.

Last edited:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
When sending in, you should pop in the original HDD and RAM

I agree. Technically, the RAM and HDD are user replaceable parts and should not effect your warranty, but some techs are jerks and will blame 3rd party parts for the issue.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2012
I dunno ...

Learning More, Service, and Support
Your MacBook Pro does not have any user-serviceable parts,
except the hard drive and memory. If you need service,
contact Apple or take your MacBook Pro to an Apple
Authorized Service Provider. You can find more information
about your MacBook Pro through Help Center, online
resources, System Information, and Apple Hardware Test​
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/macbook_pro-15-inch-mid-2012-important_product_info.pdf

Apple is legally bound to support my product regardless of what hard drive or RAM is installed. If they tell me the hard drive or RAM caused my fan to not work I will never buy another mac.

Yeah even though those parts have nothing to do with your fan,
you should still make your MBP look stock.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I dunno ...

Learning More, Service, and Support
Your MacBook Pro does not have any user-serviceable parts,
except the hard drive and memory. If you need service,
contact Apple or take your MacBook Pro to an Apple
Authorized Service Provider. You can find more information
about your MacBook Pro through Help Center, online
resources, System Information, and Apple Hardware Test​
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/macbook_pro-15-inch-mid-2012-important_product_info.pdf

Apple is legally bound to support my product regardless of what hard drive or RAM is installed. If they tell me the hard drive or RAM caused my fan to not work I will never buy another mac.

No, some jerks will blame your 3rd party parts for reason of failure.
I went to Genius with my upgraded parts and they told me its probably your SSD.
Even the AppleCare recommends you to make it look stock or they can just send it back.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

Apple is legally bound to support my product regardless of what hard drive or RAM is installed.

Not necessarily:

This warranty does not apply: (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades
and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”)

If they tell me the hard drive or RAM caused my fan to not work I will never buy another mac.

Or you could take the 10 minutes to swap the original Apple drive in to protect your data and your privacy, and potentially prevent wasted time from any issues that might come up due to stubborn technicians and 3rd party parts. Since you're a systems engineer, this shouldn't be a big deal.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2012
They are clearly not a genius.

No, some jerks will blame your 3rd party parts for reason of failure.
I went to Genius with my upgraded parts and they told me its probably your SSD.
Even the AppleCare recommends you to make it look stock or they can just send it back.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2012
As an example with my experience with PC vendors if I say the fan stopped working that cools my processor but I upgraded the RAM and Hard drive HP is smart enough to know the difference between a fan and RAM. HP would have no problem shipping out a new fan or motherboard to replace the old defective one.

HP is also smart enough to know that RAM or hard drive doesn't cause the fan to not work.

Is it me or is that not common sense? Does Apple have common sense is what I'm asking. So far you're saying no they don't have common sense.

It's not a big deal just stupid.

Not necessarily:
Or you could take the 10 minutes to swap the original Apple drive in to protect your data and your privacy, and potentially prevent wasted time from any issues that might come up due to stubborn technicians and 3rd party parts. Since you're a systems engineer, this shouldn't be a big deal.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
As an example with my experience with PC vendors if I say the fan stopped working that cools my processor but I upgraded the RAM and Hard drive HP is smart enough to know the difference between a fan and RAM. HP would have no problem shipping out a new fan or motherboard to replace the old defective one.

HP is also smart enough to know that RAM or hard drive doesn't cause the fan to not work.

Is it me or is that not common sense? Does Apple have common sense is what I'm asking. So far you're saying no they don't have common sense.

True, but Apple isn't going to send you a fan. You have to let the "Genius" look over your computer if you take it to an Apple store. Sometimes they make snap judgements based on limited training and say that some unrelated issue such as 3rd party parts is causing the problem. As for contacting Applecare and sending it in for service, I don't usually like sending my computer with my personal data for some stranger to look through. It's easier for me to put the old HDD back in and avoid any potential issues.

Personally, I've only had this trouble once at an Apple store, but other people have run into issues when they send their computer in for service, so I've always erred on the side of caution.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan

Why did you start this thread?
I thought you wanted to know if you can get repaired with upgraded parts and we are giving you an advice.

Apple can do anything not to take the blame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.