Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
I read that Apple was going to allow OSX Server to be virtualized (only when running on top of another Mac, of course). So I'm close to pulling the trigger and buying it, so I can do some experimenting without risking my "main" OSX installation (not server).

The question is this: When I buy OSX Server in the App Store, how exactly does it download? Will it come down as a DMG file or something similar? Since Lion and Mountain Lion download to the Recovery partition and don't stick around after install/upgrade, I wanted to ask first. I don't have a particularly fast network connection at home, so I only wanna download this thing once. :)

Thanks!

Rob

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
I read that Apple was going to allow OSX Server to be virtualized (only when running on top of another Mac, of course). So I'm close to pulling the trigger and buying it, so I can do some experimenting without risking my "main" OSX installation (not server).

The question is this: When I buy OSX Server in the App Store, how exactly does it download? Will it come down as a DMG file or something similar? Since Lion and Mountain Lion download to the Recovery partition and don't stick around after install/upgrade, I wanted to ask first. I don't have a particularly fast network connection at home, so I only wanna download this thing once. :)

Thanks!

Rob

Crap!

It's an app that you "install" into your current ML install. "Converts" it to a "Server".

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
Well since it's an app, hopefully you can go into it (since it's technically a folder) and find a DMG or something in there to use. I guess I'll have to Google some more.

Rob

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
There is no DMG inside. It does not go away when you run it (like an OS X install) and you can copy it as-is to other systems at any time.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
And Parallels can read from the recovery partition that is created to use that as a base for installing OS X Server in a VM. Not sure if VMWare Fusion can do the same, but I know it supports installing OS X Server now, so presumably it has similar functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.