Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msugarpants

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
Hi fellow fanboys. I have a mac mini with Mnt. Lion, and a bridged apple router setup (main one in upstairs closet and another connected to the mac downstairs). With that, I have about 6 terabytes worth of 'stuff' spanned across 7 different hard drives totaling 10th. Nothing is currently backed up. I am getting two 3 terabyte drives on black friday (100$ costco!). With that, I want to create one JBOD with 8tb out of the two 3tb drives and a 2tb drive. That will give me growing room. THEN, with the remaining 6 drives that total 8tb, I want to create a backup that stays up to date when changes are made (none of this includes my 320gb mac mini drive and its external time machine backup). This is not an ideal system, but its a lot more cost effective than two 8tb drives (wife put a 200$ limit on me, haha).

First, is this even possible? two JBOD systems using 10 total external hard drives, all different flavors.

Secondly, is there any smart way to do this? maybe connecting one to the router upstairs or maybe having them connected to separate surge protectors that I can turn off to save some electricity and wear and tear? I am looking for suggestions from some experienced JBOD users.

Thanks
Mike

monsieurpaul

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
Hello,

Your situation is not unique, just a bit complex. If I have understood correctly:
1) You have actually 7 HD for a total of 10 TB filled with 6 TB of data, none of it backed.
2) You are adding 2 HD of 3 TB each and you want to create a setup with a networked (I'm assuming this) JBOD backed up by another JBOD.

Why do you want JBOD ? Do you really need to have folder bigger than 3 TB? Because if one of your HD fails, you may lose all the data in the JBOD.

I don't know what is your budget, but what I would do in your case (and what I did at a smaller scale in my home) is to get a 4-bay NAS (no RAID) for primary data and put the remaining HD in USB enclosures plugged to the NAS for backup. Search this forum, there are countless thread about setting up NAS and backup solutions.

msugarpants

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
Thank you, monsieurpaul

Thanks for that. You are understanding correctly :). So, it looks like I am good to go as this can certainly be done, right? As for budget....I'm married and the wife doesnt want to drop a penny more than the 200$ I mentioned for the set up. So, although your idea is great....its not doable at this point. However, I will look into what you suggest a bit more and consider the safer option, which would likely be cheaper in the long run anyway.

Question, though: You said if i have a drive that fails, I will lose everything in the JBOD, correct? I thought that I only lose what is on that disk but the rest of the JBOD remains in tact, no?

I appreciate the help
mike:apple:

ibarnett

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
Thanks for that. You are understanding correctly :). So, it looks like I am good to go as this can certainly be done, right? As for budget....I'm married and the wife doesnt want to drop a penny more than the 200$ I mentioned for the set up. So, although your idea is great....its not doable at this point. However, I will look into what you suggest a bit more and consider the safer option, which would likely be cheaper in the long run anyway.

Question, though: You said if i have a drive that fails, I will lose everything in the JBOD, correct? I thought that I only lose what is on that disk but the rest of the JBOD remains in tact, no?

I appreciate the help
mike:apple:

I believe you are correct.
They are totally independent drives.

FireWire2

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Confuse !

First, is this even possible? two JBOD systems using 10 total external hard drives, all different flavors.

Thanks
Mike

Mike you are confusing me...

Isnt that JBOD is JUST a BUNCH of DRIVE? the mode you refer as Concatenation (SPAN, BIG).

YOU can SPAN as many drives as you ever want, but one of those drive going bad you will have a tough time, but not impossible) to get you data back.

With multiple drives and big volume, it's prefer to have a RAID5

But in your case you have diff size and make, you consider have a set of SPAN volume to back up the data or back the important date, just incase

monsieurpaul

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
Mike you are confusing me...

Isnt that JBOD is JUST a BUNCH of DRIVE? the mode you refer as Concatenation (SPAN, BIG).

YOU can SPAN as many drives as you ever want, but one of those drive going bad you will have a tough time, but not impossible) to get you data back.
My mistake, I confused JBOD and SPAN. So drives are independent in JBOD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.