Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
I've only had my new Mac mini a few days, but I've noticed nearly constant hard disk activity, even when the machine is doing nothing.

My office is nearly silent when I start work in the morning, and I was puzzled by the slight ticking from my computer. I opened Activity Monitor, and under Disk Activity it shows nearly constant activity under writes out/sec, data read/sec, and data written/sec. The amount of data is only about 4k to 500k, but it is constant, and I can hear the hard drive working when the computer is doing absolutely nothing.

I have 16GB of RAM and a regular factory hard drive.

It's not a problem and there are no performance issues, but I'm curious. Is this normal computer behaviour?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I've only had my new Mac mini a few days, but I've noticed nearly constant hard disk activity, even when the machine is doing nothing.

My office is nearly silent when I start work in the morning, and I was puzzled by the slight ticking from my computer. I opened Activity Monitor, and under Disk Activity it shows nearly constant activity under writes out/sec, data read/sec, and data written/sec. The amount of data is only about 4k to 500k, but it is constant, and I can hear the hard drive working when the computer is doing absolutely nothing.

I have 16GB of RAM and a regular factory hard drive.

It's not a problem and there are no performance issues, but I'm curious. Is this normal computer behaviour?

Do you have TimeMachine running on the Mini?

Open Activity Monitor, select processes for all user in the drop down menu on top and make a screenshot (Command-Shift-4 then hit spacebar and click AM window) post screenshot here.

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
Do you have TimeMachine running on the Mini?

Open Activity Monitor, select processes for all user in the drop down menu on top and make a screenshot (Command-Shift-4 then hit spacebar and click AM window) post screenshot here.

I have Time Machine, yes, but a backup isn't running when I get the disk activity.

Screenshot posted:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-10 at 08.32.56.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-10 at 08.32.56.png
    453.7 KB · Views: 197

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Log messages in Console utility may be of some help. Of course, logging messages is itself a task that writes to disk.
It could be Spotlight indexing (though that doesn't seem to be evident from your photo), or various other tasks.
If you had a Fusion drive, then it might even be the OS moving files around.

I would be worried if there was a constant and continual significant amount of data being written, all the time forever. Otherwise, if performance isn't affected, then you have nothing to worry about.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I have Time Machine, yes, but a backup isn't running when I get the disk activity.

Screenshot posted:

Not much to see, although I see 2 instances of MDworker which is part of Spotlight indexing AFAIK but no processor activity there.
Are there two active users(2 X MDworker)

You should also look at how many pageouts there are in Activity Monitor's System Memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.