Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Hey guys :eek:

I'm planning to sell my MacBook Pro and replace it with an Air. But I had some questions before going through with it.

The MBP is a 2008 model, with a 15", 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB RAM, and a 320GB harddrive (which I replaced with an SSD). The DVD reader works fine, the screen is as good as it's always been, and there is no cosmetic damage anywhere except for scuffs on the bottom. One of the rubber feet also looks worn, but the MBP doesn't wobble. The battery hasn't been replaced, but the battery life hasn't dropped much since buying it. And I would give it a good cleaning and dusting before handing it off.

I would most likely be buying a base 13" 2012 Macbook Air, or a refurbished model with similar specs. As far as I can tell, the specs sound like a side-grade from the MBP, if not a slight upgrade. My uses for it would be medium-load art work, occasional audio editing, listening to music, and playing not-as-demanding videogames (such as TF2 and Half-Life 2 on the higher settings.) I'm not expecting to do more than my MBP can, since I have my desktop to handle heavy loads. But improved specs are always nice.

So the first question is... how much could the Macbook Pro sell for? :)

Second question is the difference in performance. How much of a difference/improvement would I notice, moving from C2D to an i5? Battery life (how long before having to charge again) would also be nice to know, if anyone knows.

My third question is what to do with the harddrive. I installed an SSD in the MBP, but I'll be selling it with the harddrive, and keeping the SSD. What would be a good use for it? I can't install it in the Air, and I'm not sure if it would be worth keeping as an external drive. I could stick it in my desktop and use it for something. I could also sell the MBP with the SSD if it'll add more value to it, but I'd really rather not part with the SSD. Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for reading and/or replying :cool:

solsearchin

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
I've noticed people are not really buying pre 2010 models unless the price is CHEAP! I'd say under 500? That's here in canada btw.

Second question: core i5 are far better than c2d, some people notice others don't, you will notice on higher demanding apps. Charging? No idea

Third: keep it as an external, put it into desktop or sell it, you answered your own question.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Hey guys :eek:

My third question is what to do with the harddrive. I installed an SSD in the MBP, but I'll be selling it with the harddrive, and keeping the SSD. What would be a good use for it? I can't install it in the Air, and I'm not sure if it would be worth keeping as an external drive. I could stick it in my desktop and use it for something. I could also sell the MBP with the SSD if it'll add more value to it, but I'd really rather not part with the SSD. Suggestions are welcome.

Honestly if you don't have a system to put the SSD into, its a waste. But I wouldn't sell it in the MBP either. Sure you could put it in an external case, but other bottlenecks will loose the benefit of SSD.

Sell the MBP with original HDD.
Sell the SSD Seperate.

You'll end up with more money.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I would say....

question a) Between $450-550 tops, and please dont take offense, with reserves

b) Performance-wise, the i5 will fare better in intensive CPU calculations. About charging, I had read something about 15-20% more of running time only in battery.

c) The second-hand market is more oriented to price, no to hardware, at least IMHO. So, you maybe will be better selling the MBP with the original HDD and the SSD separately, as other poster had said.

:):apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.