Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enfant terrible

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
I have noticed that periodically when adding a transition between clips, playback is choppy/ stalled. I have tried deleting and re-adding the clips, deleting and re-adding the transitions, re-importing the thumbnails, moving the footage into a new event, and of course, restarting iMovie. Nothing I try seems to help. I have experimented with several types of transitions; it is crossfade that seems to cause the most noticeable glitch: the end of the first clip will freeze at the very end and then speed up the beginning of that which follows. When I use fade-to-black, the freezing is not quite as apparent but the black screen stays up far longer than it should if functioning normally. I attempted to tweak the transition duration as well but that actually made things worse. To reiterate, it does not happen with all clips but it is rendering otherwise complete projects unfit for viewing.

Has anyone ever had this problem? I am currently using iMovie '11 on an iMac running 10.8.2. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
What type of iMac? And does it only do this in the viewer in iMovie but not in the finished exported product?

enfant terrible

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
The latest one, with 2.9 GHz processor and 8 GB RAM. And yes, it also does this in the final product.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
How long is your project?. Have you imported all your clips in the same format?
How does your project play without any transitions?.:apple:

enfant terrible

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
The projects are no longer than five minutes each. They played fine before the transitions were added but I find that once the problem has arisen (and again, it's only affecting some of them), it won't go away regardless of how the clips are edited/ removed/ re-added. All of the source material is in the same format, namely .m4v. Currently I have one transition that simply will not behave; there are six others that are functioning normally.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
I think your m4v files are the culprit here. Is not, i think iMovie recognised, in its present state.:apple:

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I don't think it's the source files. Most of my source files are MOV format. I used to experience similar issues. If I applied a transition to a PIP clip the transaction would mess up and not even show the PIP clip at all. Although the final exported movie was always fine, it just happened in iMovie.

I also tried restarting imovie etc, but I could never solve the issue either. This, along with the terrible export quality, made me finally ditch imovie and turn to FCPX, and to be honest its the best move I ever made!

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Have you got any handles or space at the beginning of your clips and are they iMovie transition?:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.