Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Omnirai

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
Antwerp
Hello MacRumors members,

I have a question concerning the GSM vs CDMA iPhone 5:

Background information:
I bought the iPhone 5 from the official dealer in Belgium (Mobistar). This is a simlock free GSM model, and should be A1429 GSM.

One month later, I had a hardware fault and returned it to Mobistar. One week later (we do not have an apple store here, everything goes through Mobistar) I received my new one..
Now, when I downloaded firmware "iPhone5,1_6.0.1_10A525_Restore" file, it gave me an error about "not compatible" firmware file.. However, file "iPhone5,2_6.0.1_10A525_Restore works..

So I received back a CDMA model I suppose? f0recast gives me the same information: "model: iPhone 5,2 [ND297DN/A].

Are there any consequences by having a CDMA iPhone 5?
Should I take it back, and ask for a GSM model? (this will result in 1 week of no iPhone..)

ps: My carrier is 'Proximus', and will provide LTE on 1,8 Ghz.

Thanks!

Last edited:

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Hello MacRumors members,

Background information:
I bought the iPhone 5 from the official dealer in Belgium (Mobistar). This is a simlock free GSM model, and should be A1429 GSM.

One month later, I had a hardware fault and returned it to Mobistar. One week later (we do not have an apple store here, everything goes through Mobistar) I received my new one..
Now, when I downloaded firmware "iPhone5,1_6.0.1_10A525_Restore" file, it gave me an error about "not compatible" firmware file.. However, file "iPhone5,2_6.0.1_10A525_Restore works..

So I received back a CDMA model I suppose? f0recast gives me the same information: "model: iPhone 5,2 [ND297DN/A].

Should I take it back, and ask for a GSM model? (this will result in 1 week of no iPhone..)

Thanks!
Um, when exchanging a faulty product with a new one, they must return the exact same model so you should have got a GSM model back.

GSM and CDMA are not the same. They are different technologies that are not the same. GSM is more of a world wide signal (meaning most carriers use this technology) where as CDMA is not.

Omnirai

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
Antwerp
Um, when exchanging a faulty product with a new one, they must return the exact same model so you should have got a GSM model back.

GSM and CDMA are not the same. They are different technologies that are not the same. GSM is more of a world wide signal (meaning most carriers use this technology) where as CDMA is not.

I know that I should have received the exact same model again.. But I'm not up for one week of being iPhone-less :(
So my question is more if it will give problems with LTE or not.. Cause at the moment, my Phone is just working fine with 3G. LTE should be available (if apple approves) in the next 'bigger' firmware update

PS: Im pretty sure in Belgium we are working with GSM signals..

Last edited:

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I know that I should have received the exact same model again.. But I'm not up for one week of being iPhone-less :(
So my question is more if it will give problems with LTE or not.. Cause at the moment, my Phone is just working fine with 3G. LTE should be available (if apple approves) in the next 'bigger' firmware update

All I know about the LTE is that the difference between GSM & CDMA is what Apple has made available.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

The site states that the GSM model supports bands 4 & 17 while CDMA supports 1, 3, 5, 13, 25. So it all depends on what your carrier is supporting. Though there is another GSM model that supports different bands (1, 3, 5).

Again, it is all about how your carrier delivers the signals.

Lastly, who cares if you go a week without an iPhone? I know you do but you have to make sure that your phone is supported on the network otherwise you paid money for a feature that you aren't going to use.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Kick.

I just found out my replacement phone is also an iPhone5,2 (and not iPhone5,1). Is the iPhone5,2 the CDMA iPhone 5? Can anyone confirm?

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009

The CDMA model is superior to the GSM model sold in Europe. The CDMA model is equal to the GSM model you had, but it also supports CDMA and if supports MORE LTE bands.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I don't think it is. Mine is a 5,2 but it is on Orange in the UK who are a GSM provider.
yeah but one wouldn't notice, and who really cares as the CDMA model has more LTE bands, and still will work with GSM anyway. The CDMA side won't activate until you find a Verizon 4G SIM card.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Hello MacRumors members,

Background information:

Thanks!

I would keep it until I knew whether 4G worked with Proximus by actually trying it. If it didn't, I would go over to Mobistar with all the documentation and tell them "kutkanker, jullie hebben mij de CDMA iPhone gegeven!" and demand one that works.

But most likely they're not trying to dump phones in Belgium that won't work.

Myself, I'm doing Mobile Vikings until someone offers us in Bxl 4G :)

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
The site states that the GSM model supports bands 4 & 17 while CDMA supports 1, 3, 5, 13, 25. So it all depends on what your carrier is supporting. Though there is another GSM model that supports different bands (1, 3, 5).
Mobistar is probably using the A1429 that is being used by other carriers in the eastern hemisphere.
http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

I'd suspect that they switched the OP from one A1429 to the other.

Nope. It really makes no difference for you.

Wait, I thought the iPhone was a dual-band phone.
The 5's are multi band and multi mode. Take a look a the specs page posted earlier. All models are quad band GSM and UMTS. CDMA model has dual band CDMA. LTE varies by model.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.