Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:20 PM   #1
daveoc
macrumors newbie

2012 MBA weird buzzing noise

I wonder if anyone can help with this. From time to time I can hear a very faint buzzing noise coming from the back left of the notebook, right beside the magsafe connector. The noise only seems to happen mainly when I leave the MBA lid open and let it go to sleep. The noise will start when the screen goes dark and as soon as I touch a button or the trackpad it stops and the Air wakes up and works fine.

The noise also happens if the charger is plugged in, and if I move or disconnect the charger the noise stops?? Now I'm sure its not the fan as I've heard that get loud during use so I know thats a different noise, and also the fan has no reason to be on when the notebook goes to sleep.

The MBA has been working perfect since last July when I got it but the noise is really annoying. Anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Specs: 13", i7, 8GB RAM, 256gb.
daveoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:39 PM   #2
daveoc
macrumors newbie

Ok I actually narrowed down the noise to when something is left plugged into the headphone jack when the Macbook goes to sleep. If I remove the audio lead the sound stops instantly. The noise is not there at any stage when the notebook is on and in use and there is no adverse affect on sound that I can tell.

I know this sounds like I'm being picky but I've spent alot of money on this and its still in warranty. Anyone able to check if there machine does the same?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:15 PM   #3
coldjeanzzz
macrumors 6502

I made this same thread because I was having the same problem. Never thought about the plugged in headphones thing. Mine would make that weird noise when it fell asleep with the lid open but also when I closed the lid. The only way to not get the noise was to manually tell the computer to sleep and then close the lid.

However I haven't been able to replicate the noise after closing the lid for a few days now so maybe it fixed itself. I'll let you know what happens
coldjeanzzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:42 AM   #4
daveoc
macrumors newbie

I tried clicking the sleep button and the noise still happens when the lid is both open and closed. Its now quicker to replicate the issue though, so thanks for that. Think I might have to give Apple a ring as its still in warranty. Let me know if the sound comes back or you find out what it is.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:29 PM   #5
coldjeanzzz
macrumors 6502

I think you might have nailed it with the headphones issue. When I leave my headphones plugged in the MBA falls asleep, the buzzing noise returns. Pull it out and the sound disappears.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:16 PM   #6
daveoc
macrumors newbie

Its good to know Im not the only one with this issue. Gonna have to leave my MBA in to be checked and hopefully fixed. Let me know if you get yours repaired or resolved.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:14 PM   #7
coldjeanzzz
macrumors 6502

Well to be honest I probably won't pursue any other solutions. I'll just unplug my headphones when I put it to sleep from now on, seems like too much of a hassle to take this to Apple.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air