Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

striker27

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2008
What would I need to do to be able to FaceTime on my Mac Mini.... I have to admit I am really new to this.. I would like the low cost method if one exists as well as the costly once. But more then anything I would like to know how are most doing this...

THANKS

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
1) Buy a monitor that has a webcam built into it (like the Apple 27" ATD) but this is the pricey option.

2) Buy a USB/Firewire based webcam and connect it to the Mini and mount it on top of your monitor. This is the cheap option.

Then just sign into FaceTime with your account information and you are good to go.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
If you go the USB route then make sure that the Webcam is UVC compliant. This means it will work without having to install any drivers, which often are buggy if not non-existent for the Mac.

Last edited:

vc1212

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
Get a Logitech webcam with USB connector and you'll be all set. No need driver or additional software.

The webcam will act as your camera as well as a mic. You'll probably need to get a set of speakers for better sound too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.