Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
I got through engineering with a desktop just fine in my apartment. I did notice that my university is now requiring laptops (with financial help available) and support both PC and Mac (not iPad). As much as i love mine, I think it would be very difficult to survive science or engineering with just an iPad.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I would get the MBP with the iPad and a stylus and Notability with DropBox sync. MBP will do the hardcore work. iPad will do all the note-taking and allow you to be live in the cloud with everything digitized.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
My vote is for the iPad. IMO, a laptop isn't something I'd want for college. I can do everything I'd want to do on a laptop on my iPad with much less fumbling around and resistance. Plus the iPad is simply more portable, especially if you buy the cellular version. Having everything I need with me at all times is incredible. The versatility and thousands of apps makes the iPad more than worth it, again, IMO.

Ok I have to call out a bad piece of advice when I see one. Have you even gone to college? I speak from personal experience of having gone through grad school in engineering. An iPad just won't cut it. The OP needs a full fledged laptop. Stop misleading people.

I am pretty sure the OP will at sometime during the course of his Physics degree will have to solve problems in Matlab or Mathcad. Show me an iPad that he can run these programs on.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Ok I have to call out a bad piece of advice when I see one. Have you even gone to college? I speak from personal experience of having gone through grad school in engineering. An iPad just won't cut it. The OP needs a full fledged laptop. Stop misleading people.

I think vainhumility was being sarcastic. By the tone of it, the posting looks like a parody.

vainhumility

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012

I am pretty sure the OP will at sometime during the course of his Physics degree will have to solve problems in Matlab or Mathcad. Show me an iPad that he can run these programs on.

I find your post offensive. The fact that OP needs a laptop is your opinion just like my opinion is for the iPad. To suggest I have not been to college and that I'm misleading people is not only offensive, but simply not true. Now, in regards to the reasoning behind your laptop suggestion, I've read other posts in other forums/threads/websites of engineering, bio/chem, and other STEM majors who loved/love their iPad and are glad they chose it over a new laptop. However, I've also read where some of these students loathed the iPad and happily chose the laptop. It's a highly personal choice and the OP wanted outside opinions. I respect yours and hope you will respect mine.

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
England
I find your post offensive. The fact that OP needs a laptop is your opinion just like my opinion is for the iPad. To suggest I have not been to college and that I'm misleading people is not only offensive, but simply not true. Now, in regards to the reasoning behind your laptop suggestion, I've read other posts in other forums/threads/websites of engineering, bio/chem, and other STEM majors who loved/love their iPad and are glad they chose it over a new laptop. However, I've also read where some of these students loathed the iPad and happily chose the laptop. It's a highly personal choice and the OP wanted outside opinions. I respect yours and hope you will respect mine.

It's not a personal choice, there are simply things you can't use the iPad for that are vital for a Physics degree.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I am currently an instructor of a first year course in Science. Here's my advice to you:

For taking notes in any Science course (Calculus, Physics, Chemistry or Biology), the best method of choice is pen and paper.

For studying, this is the best advice:
All your going to need is a calculator and 54427 textbooks...

For your assignments, lab reports, presentations (in upper years), you'll need a computer/laptop (when it goes beyond pen and paper). Do NOT for a minute think an iPad will do.

You could get an iPad for: (only after you already have a computer)
- e-textbooks, if you can find them
- emails
- download electronic lecture notes and print them out
- record lectures (voice)

If you really want an iPad, get it but also buy a cheap Windows PC.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I am a real big fan of the iPad, and I use mine everyday for work and home. But, it is hard for me to imagine using only an ipad at college. This applies to almost any majors. Liberal arts students write numerous papers, and it is hard for me to feature only using an ipad for this purpose. I have created a lot of documents on my iPad, but typically, I need to finalize them on my desktop.

So....it makes me wonder if we really understand the Ops question? Does this student already have a desktop, and is he looking for a complementary device for light computing while in class and on campus? If so, I think an iPad plus desktop would work just fine for many folks. If you really need access to a full operating system while on campus, you can usually get to your documents from the campus computer centers, which most schools have all over the place.

That said, I would not attempt college with only a tablet, and when my daughter goes away to University this fall, she will be packing a MacBook!

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
iPad is more for consuming information. Laptop is more for creating things. In school, you do a lot of creating (writing papers, etc). So, laptop is best.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think I should point out that ONLY college students who are currently enrolled in the OPs major can accurately say if an iPad will suffice. Everyone else either has no idea what needs the OP has or may be inaccuratly remembering because that's what happens as time passes after you graduate.

vainhumility

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
I think I should point out that ONLY college students who are currently enrolled in the OPs major can accurately say if an iPad will suffice. Everyone else either has no idea what needs the OP has or may be inaccuratly remembering because that's what happens as time passes after you graduate.

Finally. Thank you. You are absolutely correct. The OP wanted opinions but only he/she can really know which device will best suit his needs.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'm getting ready to move out to college. I plan on majoring In physics, in particular, theoretical physics. For this field of study, what would be better; an iPad or MacBook Pro/Air?

1. Do you have ready access to a computer when you need one for lab work
2. Are your textbooks confirmed to be available in iPad compatible formats

If you can answer yes to both then an iPad could work for you. The trick is to try it before school starts and see if you are comfy reading and possibly taking notes on it. Also see if you can find out if your professors release any slides etc to students so you don't have to take notes of their contents during classes.

If the answer to 1 is no then you'll want a computer. I'd say MBP not Air as you might need the extra power boost for work. And they are cheaper so you might be able to pull off getting both a MBP and an iPad.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Finally. Thank you. You are absolutely correct. The OP wanted opinions but only he/she can really know which device will best suit his needs.

My point was that only current studuents, and more specifically physics majors know how an iPad fits in the workflow. My experiences with computers over ten years ago has zero bearing on using an ipad now. The OP doesn't know, hence the question.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
having used an 11" air, 13" pro, ipad 2 and ipad mini in lectures at uni id say the best thing for losing focus and coming out of a 2 hour lecture with no idea what it was about is definitely the ipad. its too easy to open up a game and lose an hour.
my air is much better on small "desks" than my pro, and fits easier in a bag.
as far as completing work at home, youre going to be much better off with a laptop. id never try to complete an essay on an iPad.

i use my pro with an external monitor, apple trackpad and keyboard but the air works just fine in the same configuration.

as an all rounder id highly recommend a 11" with external monitor.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
having used an 11" air, 13" pro, ipad 2 and ipad mini in lectures at uni id say the best thing for losing focus and coming out of a 2 hour lecture with no idea what it was about is definitely the ipad. its too easy to open up a game and lose an hour.

That's a problem with the user, not the tech.

Rossatron

macrumors 6502a
using iPad (and iPad alone) when you are an exact-science student is tough, bordering frustration. is it possible? yes. is it recommended? no. here's why:

you will need to write mathematical functions - not the easiest thing to do on an iPad, even if you do get an app that allows you to do so.
you want to work on a report on your on time? forget it. either go when the computer-room is open, or don't bother.
want to work with other people on a project? not going to happen.
want to watch video lectures? well, if the videos are played using flash, than you won't be able to.

and so forth, and so on.
all this is based on my experience, as i have tried that. you'd better go with an 11"MA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.