Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:26 PM   #1
PhiladelphiaX
macrumors member

Does T-Mobile support 3G on iPhone 4S

I was wondering if T-Mobile supports 3G on the iPhone 4S. This would include:

their 1700 MHz UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ (3G/4G) and their 1900 MHz UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ (3G/4G)

NOT their 1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE (2G)

In other words, if I get an unlocked iPhone 4S for T-Mobile, will I be able to get access to a 3G network or do all iPhone 4S' have to use their 2G EDGE - assuming I live in a big metro area where I'm most likely to have good service?

What about an unlocked iPhone 5? Would that be able to access 3G or would that also be limited to only 2G EDGE (until they finish rolling out their 4GLTE)?
PhiladelphiaX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

If you're in a refarmed 3G area you will get 3G with every iPhone model besides the original 2G iPhone.
But those places in the US are still limited as they expand their coverage.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

In certain areas yes.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:55 PM   #4
PhiladelphiaX
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
If you're in a refarmed 3G area you will get 3G with every iPhone model besides the original 2G iPhone.
But those places in the US are still limited as they expand their coverage.
How can I know for sure that I have 3G in my area? On my mom's phone, it shows a 3G in the upper left hand corner of her phone - full bars, too.

But she doesn't own an iPhone -- even though she doesn't have an iPhone, does this verify that I'll get 3G coverage on my iPhone in my area or is it phone specific?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:59 PM   #5
tardman91
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiladelphiaX View Post
How can I know for sure that I have 3G in my area?
You can check T-Mobile's website or look on tmonews.com. They usually have all the latest information on the updated markets.
tardman91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:10 PM   #6
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Quote:
How can I know for sure that I have 3G in my area?
http://www.airportal.de/

Quote:
But she doesn't own an iPhone -- even though she doesn't have an iPhone, does this verify that I'll get 3G coverage on my iPhone in my area or is it phone specific?
Your mom's phone has 3G on the a band that is not compatible with the iPhone. Sooooo.... they're "refarming" the network to put 3G on a band that the iPhone can support. So no, what you're asking isn't the same. You'll have to check your area with that link.
wordoflife is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:15 PM   #7
viperGTS
macrumors 6502a

Yup. Even older models of iPhone work on T-Mobile's 3G (except the 1st gen iPhone of course). But they don't get the HSPA+ speed. Still beats EDGE!
viperGTS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:21 PM   #8
PhiladelphiaX
macrumors member

I'm still teetering on the decision of getting an iPhone 5. The LTE speeds are the only thing that entice me, though. I'm not a big fan of the design, the lightness, or the thinness of the phone. I also heard it scratches easily because of it's anodized coat.

Are speeds dramatically noticeable between LTE and 3G? The phone would be used for basic talk, text, facetime, email, web browsing, and use of application - I'd more than likely not be watching any long movies on my phone, probably not streaming either (unless I can get an unlimited data plan on TMO).

The only problem is, I'm not even sure of how promising T-Mobile's 4G LTE speeds will be. Are there any videos demonstrating their 4G LTE speeds in the very few markets they've rolled out the network in?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:46 PM   #9
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

I don't even think Tmobile has LTE yet.
It's just their hspa+ 3G that they call it 4G network.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:33 PM   #10
araje
macrumors regular

Isn't there a discussion that they will go LTE next year in the refarmed area?

I see going between 3G and E in Phoenix so I am sure help is on its way
araje is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:27 PM   #11
Mr Hill
macrumors 6502

T-mobile does not have LTE in any markets yet. They won't have any cities with LTE until Spring 2013 at the earliest.

Their hspa+ 4G is fast in the few areas that have been refarmed for iPhone supported bands. Check the links other users posted above to see if your area is done yet.

Last edited by Nermal; Dec 16, 2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: double post
Mr Hill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:48 PM   #12
PhiladelphiaX
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hill View Post
T-mobile does not have LTE in any markets yet. They won't have any cities with LTE until Spring 2013 at the earliest.

Their hspa+ 4G is fast in the few areas that have been refarmed for iPhone supported bands. Check the links other users posted above to see if your area is done yet.
is the iPhone 4S compatible with 4G HSPA+ ?

Last edited by Nermal; Dec 16, 2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: removed double post from quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:52 PM   #13
Nermal

Quote:
It's compatible (in "refarmed" areas), but not supported by Apple.
Nermal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:04 PM   #14
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Quote:
I'm still teetering on the decision of getting an iPhone 5. The LTE speeds are the only thing that entice me, though. I'm not a big fan of the design, the lightness, or the thinness of the phone. I also heard it scratches easily because of it's anodized coat.

Are speeds dramatically noticeable between LTE and 3G? The phone would be used for basic talk, text, facetime, email, web browsing, and use of application - I'd more than likely not be watching any long movies on my phone, probably not streaming either (unless I can get an unlimited data plan on TMO).

The only problem is, I'm not even sure of how promising T-Mobile's 4G LTE speeds will be. Are there any videos demonstrating their 4G LTE speeds in the very few markets they've rolled out the network in?
Lte is certainly faster but.... It depends what youll be doing. Downloading emails? Not a big difference. Streaming video? Then yes.
wordoflife is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:06 PM   #15
mrbrown
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to mrbrown Send a message via AIM to mrbrown Send a message via MSN to mrbrown Send a message via Yahoo to mrbrown
Quote:
Yes. The speeds on T-Mobile's HSPA+ network at quite good from what I understand...
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:31 PM   #16
PhiladelphiaX
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
It's compatible (in "refarmed" areas), but not supported by Apple.
What do you mean "not supported by Apple"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrown View Post
Yes. The speeds on T-Mobile's HSPA+ network at quite good from what I understand...
How do if I know if my area has the HSPA+?

This map shows my area as having "excellent" coverage but the dark green is labeled as 3G/4G, so I'm not sure which I'd get in my area.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:19 PM   #17
Nermal

Quote:
It's not part of the official specs so Apple won't help if you have trouble with it. Having said that, if my understanding is correct then you shouldn't have any problems anyway.
Nermal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:35 PM   #18
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

There is a whole thread about what areas T-mobile supports 3G on, it was on the front page this morning when I checked, prob takes a 2 second search to find it but that would have answered your question better.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:21 PM   #19
Mr Hill
macrumors 6502

Quote:

How do if I know if my area has the HSPA+?

This map shows my area as having "excellent" coverage but the dark green is labeled as 3G/4G, so I'm not sure which I'd get in my area.
The T-Mobile coverage map shows data strength for phones that use their 1700mhz band. This doesn't apply to the iPhone. You can use their maps to get an idea how your voice coverage will be though.

Unofficial map of areas that get 3G here: www.airportal.de

Latest official announcement from T-Mobile: 23 total Markets Live

Boston, LA, Philly, NY, San Diego still in progress being worked on.

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/12/t-mob...s-total-to-23/
Mr Hill is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone