Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buskins

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Hi folks,

So I am in awe of my new machine. Having woes with Bootcamp but that's another issue. For the Mac side I have installed FCP and all my jazz. I was wondering how can I SEE the fusion drive part of the HDD? I imagined being able to see the storage space and manually plopping things in it - or how can I SEE what is already on it?

I can't really understand how to dive into the SSD part and have a look see at the space left, applications inside it and what not.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
You can't, which is the whole point in Fusion Drive. It's possible to separate the SSD and HD but unless you specifically want two disks, there is no point in doing that.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Hi folks,

So I am in awe of my new machine. Having woes with Bootcamp but that's another issue. For the Mac side I have installed FCP and all my jazz. I was wondering how can I SEE the fusion drive part of the HDD? I imagined being able to see the storage space and manually plopping things in it - or how can I SEE what is already on it?

I can't really understand how to dive into the SSD part and have a look see at the space left, applications inside it and what not.

As hellhammer has already stated, that's the point of fusion. You don't worry about where things are. The OS decides what items you frequently access and decides if it is worth it to have on the SSD or the slower HDD. If you want the functionality you describe, then you need to figure out how to separate the two drives (I assume this would only be possible with a reformat, but someone else will have to chime in on this one).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.