Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
Hope you guys can help out. Friends rMBP 15" cursor isn't working.

It appears, and moves around fine, but clicking on anything doesn't work.

We have tried removing all peripherals.

Quitting all apps

Rebooting*

Nothing seems to work.

* Interestingly - when it booted and was on the grey start-up screen with the Apple logo - a dialogue box appeared asking if we did/didn't want to reopen previously open apps. The mouse cursor didn't work here either, so the problem seems to happen before Finder or any apps load.

cheers all

:)

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
Yes - a two buttoned mouse. The left button didn't do anything, the right button worked ( same as if you hold 'ctrl' button and click ). Cursor moved correctly.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Maybe the click switch on the builtin trackpad isn't working. Specifically, it might be stuck in a closed position, or electrically short-circuited.

Has the computer ever been paired with any Bluetooth devices? If so, make sure that device is off, or even unpaired (if possible).

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
I think the fact that I also had problems with the mouse may suggest it isn't the teak pad. It's never been paired via BT....
Cheers

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I think the fact that I also had problems with the mouse may suggest it isn't the teak pad.

If the touchpad's click switch is closed (pressed), then the system won't recognize presses coming from the mouse. I have a mouse connected to my MBP, and I just tested this.

The problem sometimes arises when the battery expands (swells, bulges), which presses against the switch from the inside, causing it to activate. I'm not saying that's happening here, just that having the touchpad switch activate by itself is not unknown.

You could try running the Apple Hardware Test:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

Off the top of my head, I don't recall what tests it runs on the touchpad switch.

I think your best option given what you've described is to take it in for service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.