Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
IDK if you guys have a thread dedicated to broken buttons on the iPod touch, so here is one!

*Add your own ideas on what worked fixing YOUR buttons on the iPod Touch.

This is all from personal experience. Since I buy, fix, and sell iPods/iPhones, I must have a way to fix them without having to open up the iPod. We would like to avoid that anyways...

Lets start with the home button. If it still has "click", you might be able to salvage it. But if your home button is smashed in, your button will need replacing inside. (Usually involving the replacement of a logic board)

So if your home button still has "click", this is what works for me, SOMETIMES.

**THIS IS AT YOUR OWN RISK! I"M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR IPOD!!***

Get some isopropyl rubbing alcohol and a Q tip. Pour alcohol into cap, dab Q tip into liquid alcohol. Dab Q tip on home button, then press the home button many times till it starts working. It might be fixed partially, but still, better than nothing.
If your home button still doesn't work, go to Settings<General<Accessibility<Assistive touch and add it to your wallpaper. This will allow usage of all iPod controls at the touch of a white dot. Try it...

POWER BUTTON:
If your power button on your iPod touch does not work but, yet again still has the "click", this might work for you.

I know this sounds stupid, but what you do is suck on the power button with your mouth, for a little bit, as hard as you can. Don't pass out please...Keep trying! This will remove the condensation and moisture inside the housing causing contact defectivities.

If that does not work, press and hold the volume, home, and power button for about 5 seconds. It could be a security feature, IDK, but it works.

If nothing in this thread does it, take your iPod to a professional, see what they say.

Add on as needed...

:apple::apple::apple::apple::cool:

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
Has anybody tried putting alcohol on the power button? I might just try that because it's contact too just like the home button.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
Something else, if your power button is smashed level with the casing, the only way to fix it is to take the iPod apart, and gain access to the power button, and replace the spring power wire to the power button.

If the home button is smashed in, the cheapest and best fis is to replace it with a screen that includes a power button assembly. They are around 20-25 dollars on eBay.

Elize15

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2013
Two new videos published lately give a detailed look at the casings of the colored iPhone 5S and the "graphite" 5S, which first showed up in photos earlier this week. Well, a good overview of both the casing and the structural differences between the iPhone 5S and the iPhone 5. By October 2013 the new Iphone 5S will be release, of course with the affordable price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.