Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Just got mine from UPS this evening, there's a slight light leakage on the top of the screen where the silver band is. Doesn't bother me much. Other than that its pretty good looking.

techluvr

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
Houston, TX
White 5, flawless out of the box. A few little nicks on it now, probably due to my (now replaced) sliding case. Nothing major though.

pegaz666

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2012
My scuffs on brand new 16gb ip5- this drives me crazy!

Guys is that something wrong with me,because this drives me crazy? This is what i've got straight out of box... That weird stains when you rub it with a finger adding some sweat/grease disappears a little bit, but when you clean it to remove that grease with alcohol or something it reappears again! That stain is massive compared to some others little dents. It's a brand new phone. I haven't activated it yet, i haven't put any sim. Can't wait to play with it but I wanna take it to the apple store to get it replaced for a brand new unpacked (not refurbished one!) But I've got one problem. I got this phone from my company from Vodaphone UK network. I know if I'm on contract they can remove simlock for free which is extremely important for me. Guys what will happen if i got it replaced (different IMEI etc) . Can vodaphone refuse to unlock it for free claiming that that phone is not assigned with my number /client etc? Because basicly it doesn't come from them? What would you do on my place? Would you try to replace it? Waiting for your answers! cheers

Attachments

• DSC00053.JPG
    DSC00053.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 970

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Guys is that something wrong with me,because this drives me crazy? This is what i've got straight out of box... That weird stains when you rub it with a finger adding some sweat/grease disappears a little bit, but when you clean it to remove that grease with alcohol or something it reappears again! That stain is massive compared to some others little dents. It's a brand new phone. I haven't activated it yet, i haven't put any sim. Can't wait to play with it but I wanna take it to the apple store to get it replaced for a brand new unpacked (not refurbished one!) But I've got one problem. I got this phone from my company from Vodaphone UK network. I know if I'm on contract they can remove simlock for free which is extremely important for me. Guys what will happen if i got it replaced (different IMEI etc) . Can vodaphone refuse to unlock it for free claiming that that phone is not assigned with my number /client etc? Because basicly it doesn't come from them? What would you do on my place? Would you try to replace it? Waiting for your answers! cheers

What stain are we looking at? I'm blind.

pegaz666

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2012
The white stuff near the bottom edge. It starts from the dock connector and goes to the headphones socket area. I thought it will be very noticeable. What about simlock matter??

Update:
I've just been in apple store. They said that i need to get back to place where i've got it from to deal with this further. They cannot exchange it because of cosmetics damage as it wasn't purchased in their stores and it's not a hardware failure. They've been telling me that of course I do have a right to get different one but they pushed me to keep this and start using it because it will get scratches anyway, i can put protector etc bla bla bla... I'm kinda disappointed because they are sending me back to vodafone. As i got it as a present from my boss I can't complain to him about that kind of issues cuz it would be rude. I'm sure vodafone will refuse me any help with this. They will need a proof of purchase, invoice or whatever, i wasn't the one who purchased it etc So I assume that i stuck with this and need to accept it <sad>

Last edited:

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
That looks to me like excess glue from attaching the glass panels to the aluminum. Try taking some mineral spirits (you probably know it to be called white spirit) and rub it off.

pegaz666

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2012
That looks to me like excess glue from attaching the glass panels to the aluminum. Try taking some mineral spirits (you probably know it to be called white spirit) and rub it off.

White spirit makes it look much more noticeable ! As I said when you swipe over that scuff with greasy finger it disappears, but when you clean it with some kind of alcohol/spirit it reappears again

rxllrn

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
The white stuff near the bottom edge. It starts from the dock connector and goes to the headphones socket area. I thought it will be very noticeable. What about simlock matter??

Update:
I've just been in apple store. They said that i need to get back to place where i've got it from to deal with this further. They cannot exchange it because of cosmetics damage as it wasn't purchased in their stores and it's not a hardware failure. They've been telling me that of course I do have a right to get different one but they pushed me to keep this and start using it because it will get scratches anyway, i can put protector etc bla bla bla... I'm kinda disappointed because they are sending me back to vodafone. As i got it as a present from my boss I can't complain to him about that kind of issues cuz it would be rude. I'm sure vodafone will refuse me any help with this. They will need a proof of purchase, invoice or whatever, i wasn't the one who purchased it etc So I assume that i stuck with this and need to accept it <sad>

I would call apple. I'm sure they'll replace it.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
White spirit makes it look much more noticeable ! As I said when you swipe over that scuff with greasy finger it disappears, but when you clean it with some kind of alcohol/spirit it reappears again

Use nail polish remover or paint thinner. Although, you have to be careful not to get it on the polished part of the bezel because that is actually painted (some other poster dropped his iPhone in paint thinner and the bezel started peeling).

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas

This happened on a smaller scale on my old one- got it replaced for a faulty power button, but this issue was there, too.

pegaz666

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2012
Isopropyl alcohol, acetone, petrol for zippo, water, white spirit, hard rubbing , scraping nothing helps. This must be because of bad anodizing...

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
No scratches or dents on my white iPhone 5. Still looks like the day it was removed from the box. As soon I got it I went right to the Ghost Armor kiosk right outside the Apple Store to get full body protection; front, back and sides.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Mine (white) was delivered to my office while I was in Japan. Flew back today, opened the box, and after reading all the complaints this past week, went over the entire device with a 20X loupe.

Tell me you're kidding. A ****ing jewelers loupe?

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Lmfao! And I thought I was picky! :D

I know, right? If you need a jewelers loupe to spot an issue, chances are the device is cosmetically fine. That's actually quite disturbing that he would do such a thing. I'd love to see him pull that **** at the Genius Bar at an Apple Store. They'd probably call security.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Went to get my phone swapped today due to a malfunctioning home button and slipping power button and the first one they brought out was full of nicks! Like, not just tiny ones but super noticeable ones. The second was the same and even had a blue stain on the white bezel.. The third, finally, was perfect.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
debating should i get mine replaced, I got this tiny nick out of the box. Plus i just put some scratches on the apple logo as well. =P

To be honest, those "nicks" are barely noticeable unless you're actually looking for them. I think yours is alright. My iPhone has a dead pixel that I notice from time to time, but I have to really look at a certain spot on the screen to actually notice. Over the past month since I've had my iPhone, it's accumulated a couple of very small "nicks" on the bezel and back; but that's not a good enough reason for me to go to Apple and try to exchange it for a replacement. The only problem I have with my iPhone 5 is the darn battery issue. Now that's a reason why I would replace my iPhone, not for a tiny nick that you can barely see. (Sorry if I come off harsh, that's not my intention).

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
WTF????????? It just looks like a normal alu finish.

Oh wait, I see it. DO NOT rub alcohol on your phone!!!!!

Update:

LMDnYk

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2014
I have a problem with my iphone 5c it has scratches inside the glass at the buttom of home screen inside i dont know how because it is inside the screen front panel it has white scratch inside same problem of iphone 3G scratch inside screen.. Please help me thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.