Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikewired

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
All I can say is WOW about this machine. I recently sold an Original Rev A MBA on craigslist for 500 that I never really used... got tired of the heat, the fans running, and the short batt life. I also have a Late 2008 MBP that runs great since I just put a 240g SSD in it. Now after using this new MBA, I may go ahead and sell the MBP because I am thinking I wont use it anymore!!! This 2012 Air creates no heat, no fan noise, light as a feather... I debated getting the 13" rMBP but the screen on the Air is almost as good, but I opted for the lighter weight. Stereo speakers YEA !!! but a little weak, but then I install the BOOM app, again WOW. I looked at the 11" but was worried that the battery life. Also previous to getting the Air, I did convert to the dark side and tried two different win8 touch screen laptops. This was a mistake, I think win8 is ok, but the Asus had terrible screen quality. Next was the Samsung series 5, better screen but terrible terrible trackpad. I realized then that I was going to have to spend more than $700ish. So it was back to Apple, I would rather have a great trackpad and loose the touchscreen. The only thing that would make this machine better would be an LTE connection. I have a 3gen iPad with unlimited ATT LTE, If I could move that data to the Air I would ditch the iPad. Great Machine.

erichess22

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
All I can say is WOW about this machine. I recently sold an Original Rev A MBA on craigslist for 500 that I never really used... got tired of the heat, the fans running, and the short batt life. I also have a Late 2008 MBP that runs great since I just put a 240g SSD in it. Now after using this new MBA, I may go ahead and sell the MBP because I am thinking I wont use it anymore!!! This 2012 Air creates no heat, no fan noise, light as a feather... I debated getting the 13" rMBP but the screen on the Air is almost as good, but I opted for the lighter weight. Stereo speakers YEA !!! but a little weak, but then I install the BOOM app, again WOW. I looked at the 11" but was worried that the battery life. Also previous to getting the Air, I did convert to the dark side and tried two different win8 touch screen laptops. This was a mistake, I think win8 is ok, but the Asus had terrible screen quality. Next was the Samsung series 5, better screen but terrible terrible trackpad. I realized then that I was going to have to spend more than $700ish. So it was back to Apple, I would rather have a great trackpad and loose the touchscreen. The only thing that would make this machine better would be an LTE connection. I have a 3gen iPad with unlimited ATT LTE, If I could move that data to the Air I would ditch the iPad. Great Machine.

I love my MBA as well, its ridiculous how light and thin the thing is while still being so quick. Apple did well!

shootingrubber

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2009
I love my MBA as well, its ridiculous how light and thin the thing is while still being so quick. Apple did well!

I have an 11-inch Air and love it, but disagree about ditching iPad. I have a 7-inch iPad and love it. There is no way I would ditch the iPad for full use of the Air. I pretty much only use the Air for coding now and the iPad for everything else. Oh, and the Air is my only "real" computer.

But, yeah, the MBA is a great computer. Performs very well, especially the maxed out model. I converted like 6 videos (movies) using Handbrake without a hiccup. Took like 3 hours for all to finish using 2-pass encoding. Hook it up to an external monitor at home and it's great.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I paid almost 300 dollars more just to have 8 gigs of ram. every other stat is the same as yours. When i purchased the air best buy did not have this deal. had i known i would have saved myself 300 dollars. 300 dollars is nothing to scoff at.

mikewired

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
I see 919 in the outlet but that is a 2011 version? Dang I was ready for a BB price match.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I have an 11-inch Air and love it, but disagree about ditching iPad. I have a 7-inch iPad and love it. There is no way I would ditch the iPad for full use of the Air. I pretty much only use the Air for coding now and the iPad for everything else. Oh, and the Air is my only "real" computer.

But, yeah, the MBA is a great computer. Performs very well, especially the maxed out model. I converted like 6 videos (movies) using Handbrake without a hiccup. Took like 3 hours for all to finish using 2-pass encoding. Hook it up to an external monitor at home and it's great.

Great setup. I agree that the Air couldn't replace the iPad and vice versa. Love my iPad mini. And all I need in terms of computing power is the Air hooked up to a nice external monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.