Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you date your cousin?

• Yes

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • If they were a second cousin

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • If they were a third cousin

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • If they were a fourth cousin

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • I've dated a cousin

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • No I would not

Votes: 157 78.9%

• Total voters

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
That is a moral standard. :)

Not really. A moral standard is when you don't do something because you think it's wrong.

Peer pressure is different. I believe that many people who answered "no" to the question probably don't see anything morally wrong with marrying their cousins but would never consider it due to the perceived ridicule from their friends / family.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Not really. A moral standard is when you don't do something because you think it's wrong.

Peer pressure is different. I believe that many people who answered "no" to the question probably don't see anything morally wrong with marrying their cousins but would never consider it due to the perceived ridicule from their friends / family.

Then the friends are imposing their moral standard. :D

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Then the friends are imposing their moral standard. :D

Not exactly. In many cases, the person probably doesn't know what the reaction will be but doesn't want to take a chance (i.e. the friends may not even have a moral standard on the cousin issue but the person doesn't want to risk it). In the case of the cousin, the person may not have a moral issue with it, the friends may not have a moral issue with it, but the person would still never consider it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Not exactly. In many cases, the person probably doesn't know what the reaction will be but doesn't want to take a chance (i.e. the friends may not even have a moral standard on the cousin issue but the person doesn't want to risk it). In the case of the cousin, the person may not have a moral issue with it, the friends may not have a moral issue with it, but the person would still never consider it.

I just can't convince you. :p

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
My cousins are freaking hot. If I wasn't related to them in any conceivable fashion, I'd so pursue them. All...*counting* 5+ of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.