Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Has anyone tried the Lightning cables from DealExtreme that supposedly have the authentication IC in them?

Sheldonsmith

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
No have not tried, but apparently iOS 7 is going to require Apple cables exclusively, even for charging. My battery pack with a build in Lightning cable apparently will not work with iOS 7. Will know Wednesday when iOS 7 drops.

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
No have not tried, but apparently iOS 7 is going to require Apple cables exclusively, even for charging. My battery pack with a build in Lightning cable apparently will not work with iOS 7. Will know Wednesday when iOS 7 drops.

That's not what i've heard. From what i've seen, they'll work, but a notification will pop up telling you it's an unofficial cable

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA

I have a non apple certified iPhone 5 battery case and it works with iOS 7 but I get the error but it still charges. The same thing happens for 3 of my lightning cables. They still charge and sync.
I'm on iOS 7 GM

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

No, we already know.
Non-certified 3rd-party cables work just fine under iOS 7.
They do generate an on-screen notification but that doesn't stop them working.
Certified 3rd-party cables should work without the warning.
The DX cables are the cheapest I've ever seen that still claim the be Apple certified (or at least to have the certification chip in them) which is why I wondered if anyone had tried them.
I ordered a few but they haven't arrived yet. When they do I'll post an update.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
I bought a couple of Lightning cables for my iPhone 5 from Amazon, upgraded to IOS 7, and have not noticed any warnings or problems using the cables.

Bought the AmazonBasics USB A to Lightning Compatible Cable (3 Feet/0.9 Meter) for $13.00.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Well it took almost a month but I finally got the Lightning cables that I'd ordered from DealExtreme. The ones that claim to have an authentication IC inside.
http://dx.com/p/lightning-8-pin-mal...charging-cable-for-iphone-5-white-95cm-177876

They are the exact same size as the Apple cables and they do work with my iPhone 5 and iPad 4, both running iOS 7 with no warnings of any kind.
BUT......
They do not work with the iPhone 5S.
AND......
After trying them on the iPhone 5S, they no longer work on the iPhone 5.
:eek:
I'm really wondering now if something in the 5S, either accidentally or intentionally, is frying certain unauthorized 3rd-party cables.
They work just fine before using them with the 5S and then after just one attempt, they never work again.
:(
Same thing happened to three different cables.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
DealExtreme Lightning cables

Well it took almost a month but I finally got the Lightning cables that I'd ordered from DealExtreme. The ones that claim to have an authentication IC inside.
http://dx.com/p/lightning-8-pin-mal...charging-cable-for-iphone-5-white-95cm-177876

They are the exact same size as the Apple cables and they do work with my iPhone 5 and iPad 4, both running iOS 7 with no warnings of any kind.
BUT......
They do not work with the iPhone 5S.
AND......
After trying them on the iPhone 5S, they no longer work on the iPhone 5.
:eek:
I'm really wondering now if something in the 5S, either accidentally or intentionally, is frying certain unauthorized 3rd-party cables.
They work just fine before using them with the 5S and then after just one attempt, they never work again.
:(
Same thing happened to three different cables.

Maybe the iPhone 5s puts a bad code on the chip making it not work. That's the strangest thing I have ever heard.

parrot5

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
My GENUINE iPhone 5 lightning cable bought in an Apple Store a year ago is also finicky on the iPhone 5s. So yours might not be because of a bad chip.
I find that it works if I restart the phone. And when it finishes charging and I UNPLUG it, then it will say the cable is not authorized (or whatever that error messages says). Go figure.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
My GENUINE iPhone 5 lightning cable bought in an Apple Store a year ago is also finicky on the iPhone 5s. So yours might not be because of a bad chip.
I find that it works if I restart the phone. And when it finishes charging and I UNPLUG it, then it will say the cable is not authorized (or whatever that error messages says). Go figure.

Wow this is just sad. They have become so obsessive and overbearing that even genuine cables are being flagged?

parrot5

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
Wow this is just sad. They have become so obsessive and overbearing that even genuine cables are being flagged?

And since there are so many knock-offs out there, I don't think Apple will honor the warranty and allow an exchange, so I think I'm stuck.
The cable that came with the 5s works consistently though.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
They have become so obsessive and overbearing that even genuine cables are being flagged?

... or it could be there's a problem with the cable. :cool:

And since there are so many knock-offs out there, I don't think Apple will honor the warranty and allow an exchange, so I think I'm stuck.

I wouldn't make that assumption.

If you just give up and don't even try, there's zero chance of replacement.
Or you could take the phone, cable, and receipt in and ask nicely. You might find they're not as draconian as you fear.

I swapped out a pair of the new style headphones a couple months ago in-store. Couldn't have been simpler; walked in, explained the problem with them, woman helping me grabbed a new pair off the wall for me, took my name/email for the exchange receipt and sent me on my way in under five minutes total.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I bought these from Amazon, 2 pack for $5.49. Works great on the 5S. One of the reviews said they had trouble using it with the wall plug but it worked fine for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.