Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pnhoang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Milan & Turku
Hi everyone,
My name is Hoang Pham, I am the owner of Cosmo Studios. I have just finished my latest iPhone/iPad application: FMFinder - music discovery and recommendations. I would like to show it to you.

FMFinder-universal-thumbnail.png

Here's how the app work:
You're listening to a song on your Music application on iPhone/iPad, let's say "Glad you came", by "The Wanted". You launch the app and tap on "Current playback song" on the left menu, the application will download automatically 16 songs similar to this one (by similar, it means, by rhythm, by artists, authors, other users listening preferences on last.fm. Further reference is on the Q&A on the website http://cosmostudios.com). Some similar songs that the app found are: "Where have you been, by Rihanna", "What Makes You Beautiful, by The Wanted", "Call Me Maybe, by Carly Rae Jepsen", and many more. These songs are then displayed in a graph with each song represented by a node, these nodes connected to the center node which is the song you selected. Tapping on a song "Call Me Maybe" will bring up a new screen where you can then watch the video preview of the song, watch the related YouTube videos, and read the song facts, after the video preview finished playing, there are options to buy song audio/video on iTunes. In case you want to further discover the similar songs related to this one, you can easily tap on "View Related" button and the graph will be reloaded with the new data. The song "Call Me Maybe" will appear in the center node and the similar songs are surrounded by this one. Switching between "Songs" and "Artists" similarities is within a thumb, if you are viewing "Call Me Maybe", switch to "Artists", the app will show "Carly Rae Jepsen" in the center and similar artists to "Carly Rae Jepsen" are surrounded, such as: "Ellie Goulding", "Cher Lloyd", "Taylor Swift", "Justin Bieber". Tapping on an Artist, you can then watch all songs available on YouTube of the Artist, or read his/her biography. There's also a quick link to go to the Artist page on iTunes.
The most powerful feature of the application is the ability to recommend new music based entirely on your Music library, you can access your music library by Playlists, by Albums or by Artists. Songs are then available to select in the according categories, music recommendation based on the ones that you already own, that's a unique experience.
What happens if you don't have any music in your library, worry no more, the app has three categories to help you stay up to date with the trend: top last.fm songs, top iTunes songs, and top iTunes music videos. These categories bring you the latest songs from their site, with top last.fm songs the category is the worldwide one, while with iTunes songs and iTunes music videos, the category is based on the country in the Settings function.
Still not satisfy with the provided categories? Then, search for the one you like, simply input the song title or the artist name in the search field, all of the songs with that title or from that artist will be displayed, scrolling through the list to find out the one you like, and tap on any song to watch the preview and related YouTube videos, find out the similar songs to the one you like. It's that simple!
With the Settings function, you can increase or decrease the number of songs downloaded from last.fm or iTunes songs/music videos. Also, it's possible to modify the graph to view more or less items, on the iPad, you may want to increase the number of items to view, while on the iPhone, this number you may want to decrease.
The History section contains the list of songs that you have tapped so far, this helps you better navigate back and forth to the songs you want to discover.
Download FMFinder on iTunes

Here's the YouTube video which I introduce the application, FMFinder.

Thank you,

About me:
Hoang Pham graduated from Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology, he spent two years working for a software company in Sai Gon, he was so bored that he decided to get a master degree in Politecnico di Milano, Italy. He has spent the last 3 years dedicating on iPhone/iPad development working as a consultant and an employee. In September 2012, he started his own company in Turku, Finland.

Facebook: http://facebook.com/cosstos
Twitter: http://twitter.com/cosstos

Attachments

• iPad screenshot.png
    iPad screenshot.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 154
  • iOS Simulator Screen shot Oct 10, 2012 5.44.37 PM.png
    iOS Simulator Screen shot Oct 10, 2012 5.44.37 PM.png
    388.9 KB · Views: 160
  • iOS Simulator Screen shot Oct 10, 2012 5.44.32 PM.png
    iOS Simulator Screen shot Oct 10, 2012 5.44.32 PM.png
    551.2 KB · Views: 140
  • iOS Simulator Screen shot Oct 10, 2012 5.49.47 PM.png
    iOS Simulator Screen shot Oct 10, 2012 5.49.47 PM.png
    338.8 KB · Views: 141
  • iOS Simulator Screen shot Oct 10, 2012 5.43.50 PM.png
    iOS Simulator Screen shot Oct 10, 2012 5.43.50 PM.png
    305.2 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

pnhoang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Milan & Turku
The app is free for a limited time only!

Hello communities,
As a thank you, I updated the app to be free for a limited time. Please try it and let me know what you think!

pnhoang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Milan & Turku
Updated to version 1.1

Version 1.1 of FMFinder has several new features:
- View and play preview all artist's songs from the Artist page
- Ability to browse from one Artist to others without limit
- Add Artist's event page to iPad interface
- Search by Artist now shows the results for Artists first, then will be possible to choose the songs by the chosen Artist.
- Enhance the Songs audio/video search algorithm
- Graph view to show popular songs of Artists if related songs are not available
- History now contains both Songs and Artists
- Settings page contains links to support information, Facebook page, Twitter account.

Bug fixes:
- Application written from scratch to resolve the crashes in the previous version. Several bugs are gone forever, now you can enjoy a continuos songs/artists browsing experience.

New version coming soon:
- Better graphics coming soon. Please help us by visiting our Facebook page to give us feedback on new graphic: http://www.facebook.com/cosstos
or follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/cosstos

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.