Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ripa777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
I have an older Macpro desktop that I would like to upgrade. Is it worth it or should I buy new? its a dual core 2.66. BTW, did i mention Im tech challenged?!

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
I have an older Macpro desktop that I would like to upgrade. Is it worth it or should I buy new? its a dual core 2.66. BTW, did i mention Im tech challenged?!

Depends on what you plan on doing with the machine and what your budget is. What is the current specs of the machine (can you post a  -> About This Mac screenshot). I assume you mean it's a "DUAL x DUAL CORE 2.66" or in other words, "MP 1,1 2006 Quad Core 2.66"... I'll keep it simple.

For the older MP I'd strongly recommend:
- Drop in a 128GB or larger SSD for the boot drive (makes everything so much more snappy).
- Get a 5770, many have had success with it.
- Hunt for 12 or 16GB of RAM at minimum from eBay or Craigslist. The RAM is quite pricey, once you find a deal, grab it.

Three things upgraded for probably around $400 if you can find some deals, SSD means faster and more snappier experience, 5770 graphics means better overall visual experience, more ram means you can have more running at the same time and not experience slowdowns.

Considering the money you're going to spend upgrading, I'd recommend that you sell the MP machine for around $500-$600 and pick up a 2009 machine for $1,000 - $1,400. (depends on where you are, best deals are in the US).

justmetoo

macrumors newbie
OK, why was my earlier post deleted from this thread?

I offered to the OP (who wants to upgrade his workstation) extra Mac Pro 1,1 RAM that I have and my post gets deleted??? I'm not spamming anyone, there is a need mentioned here, and I have what he might want.

Moderator, relax huh?

While I may not post often here, I have a solid reputation over at MacNN...

Last edited:

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
OK, why was my earlier post deleted from this thread?

I offered to the OP (who wants to upgrade his workstation) extra Mac Pro 1,1 RAM that I have and my post gets deleted??? I'm not spamming anyone, there is a need mentioned here, and I have what he might want.

Moderator, relax huh?

While I may not post often here, I have a solid reputation over at MacNN...

My guess is 1: This isn't the classifieds 2: you don't have enough posts to post in the classifieds...just a guess though

justmetoo

macrumors newbie
Trying not to read any negative sentiment into your post GC, or, choosing to ignore it if there is...

If the OP does want to upgrade/keep his Mac Pro 1,1 going (and there is no reason why he shouldn't, it is still a terrific and powerful workstation, I still enjoy mine tremendously for all tasks...) I hope we'll hear his intentions.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.