Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:15 PM   #51
tennisne1
macrumors newbie

I bought an iPad 4 mainly for work to be used along with my work laptop. I have a lot of technical references in PDF format and the instant on feature of the tablets make for quick access and convenience.

I was tempted to purchase the Mini for the extra portability and weight, which would allow to easily be held with one hand. However, I started thinking that even though the Mini is half the weight of the iPad 4 and can be easily held with one hand, for extended use, I would either be using the iPad on my tummy/lap when couching or have it propped up on a table/desk. For quick or short use, I'll just whip out my iPhone 5. However, I could see in certain games (like driving or FPS shooters), where the less weight of the Mini can be very advantageous even with 2 handed use.

At the end, I thought I was going to be more productive with the larger form factor. This debate between the iPad 3/4 vs the Mini reminds me of the debate between the MBA 11 vs MBA 13. I remember when the MBA 11 was first introduced, in a poll on this forum, majority chose the 11 for mobility. However, in another poll during the subsequent year, the 13 took the lead with the popular reason being increased productivity. I can't help that the Mini is in a bit of a "fad" phase because it is new.

Having said that, my wife wants the Mini. She can't get over the weight, the form factor, and the "cuteness" of the Mini. Personally, I would rather get her an iPad 4. For another $170, the 4 comes with a better screen, better processor, more memory, and will provide a little better longevity. Not a bad ROI if you plan to keep using the iPad for the next 2 -3 years. I still have the original iPad that is being used by the kids.

Alas, it's not what I want or need, but what she wants. So I'll be picking up a Mini here shortly. Seems like the stores are getting the Mini's back in stock on a regular basis.

Good luck to everyone with their decision and Happy Holiday!

Ten
tennisne1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:57 PM   #52
spring
macrumors regular

I was debating between a mini and and iPad 4 myself just this past week. I ended up getting the iPad 4. I would ideally like a retina iPad mini, but that's obviously not possible at the moment. I liked the size and weight of the mini, but I could I felt that the non retina screen would be a bad trade off along with half the ram the ipad 4 has. Before I purchased my iPad 4, I had an ipad 2 (which got stolen) and I found the low PPI to be a bit of an issue when reading smaller text while web browsing in portrait mode. I also did not like having tabs refresh more often due to the lack of ram.
spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:11 PM   #53
shaown
macrumors member

I sold my iPad 3 for the Mini. I miss the retina display a LOT, but I could never go back to a 3/4. The full size iPad got use at home - where I have a nice Macbook Air I can use anytime. The Mini gets use out and about - where I really need it! If I had an iPhone - I might have a different perspective - but the mini makes a good companion to my blackberry - which is great for email/msging, but sucks for web/apps.
Thanks,
-Shaown
shaown is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad