Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smoge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
No 3rd party products reduced this year or am I missing something?

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
And annoying, to see iPad4 on sale when my preordered full price ipad4 hasn't even arrived yet. All I bought in this very dull sale was a Magic Trackpad.

smoge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
I was also tempted to get the track pad, but I hat having battery powered devises.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I was also tempted to get the track pad, but I hat having battery powered devices.

Would you rather have a power cord coming out of the track pad? :D

Seriously. Put some good quality AA's in the track pad and you won't have to worry about it for months at a time. They're really quite power efficient.

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012

Seriously. Put some good quality AA's in the track pad and you won't have to worry about it for months at a time. They're really quite power efficient.

Why would I cable on a trackpad be an issue? It's stationary on a desk. Same goes for keyboards, mice on the other hand actually benefit from being cable-free.

smoge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011

Seriously... yes

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Why would I cable on a trackpad be an issue? It's stationary on a desk. Same goes for keyboards, mice on the other hand actually benefit from being cable-free.

Frankly, I find cables of any kind a nuisance. I have a lot of peripherals on my desk and always find myself fighting them.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I hated trackpads until I got the Air this year. I hope it hasn't got the same silly on/off button as the BT keyboard. I can never tell whether it is off or not.

I also bought the Logitech 760 solar keyboard today (not in the Apple sale, as it wasn't on sale). While it isn't quite as good as the apple keyboard for typing it has a proper on/off switch and I love being able to use this with 3 things, works so well. Why hasn't Apple thought of this? Too busy minimising the on/off button to the point of uselessness!

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I hated trackpads until I got the Air this year. I hope it hasn't got the same silly on/off button as the BT keyboard. I can never tell whether it is off or not.

I also bought the Logitech 760 solar keyboard today (not in the Apple sale, as it wasn't on sale). While it isn't quite as good as the apple keyboard for typing it has a proper on/off switch and I love being able to use this with 3 things, works so well. Why hasn't Apple thought of this? Too busy minimising the on/off button to the point of uselessness!

It's quite straightforward really. To turn the trackpad off, hold the button for a few seconds. A little yellow/green light in the top right corner of the device illuminates as you do this. As soon as the light disappears, the trackpad has been switched off. (This get's echoed by an on-screen message). To turn it back on, just press the button once (it takes a few seconds for the Blue Tooth connection to get established). Works perfectly. Hardly useless I would say.

To be honest, I never turn mine off as the device is pretty clever about detecting inactivity and will enter into a power save mode.

I do wonder how well that solar keyboard works outside sunny Oz. Say in cloudy UK for example. :D

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
You could order a new one an ask a refund for the other one.

It is in transit, due Monday.

----------

It's quite straightforward really. To turn the trackpad off, hold the button for a few seconds. A little yellow/green light in the top right corner of the device illuminates as you do this. As soon as the light disappears, the trackpad has been switched off. (This get's echoed by an on-screen message). To turn it back on, just press the button once (it takes a few seconds for the Blue Tooth connection to get established). Works perfectly. Hardly useless I would say.

To be honest, I never turn mine off as the device is pretty clever about detecting inactivity and will enter into a power save mode.

I do wonder how well that solar keyboard works outside sunny Oz. Say in cloudy UK for example. :D

The sales guy told me that even light from a monitor helps charge it. And hey, you hardly ever get snow anymore. But I suppose you still have those low grey skies every other day.

Often with the BT keyboard, the green light is flashing and the iPad is trying to find it, but doesn't and by then the light is off and I don't know if it is on or off and so this guessing game goes on, pressing, waiting, and finally it works.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I'll try that. It's not a lot of money, but what is the point of preordering about an hour after the launch and waiting a month for it and then it's on sale and you are still waiting. I've never preordered before, and I won't bother again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.