Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

michael_gartenberg-250x247.jpg
Forbes reports that former Gartner research director Michael Gartenberg has joined Apple. While his exact position at Apple hasn't been revealed, Gartenberg is said to be working under Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller.
This isn't Gartenberg's first time jumping into one of the technology companies he tracks -- though his last foray lasted less than a month. In Feb. 2007, he joined Microsoft as an "enthusiastic evangelist," a job he described at the time as being designed to "engage and work with enthusiasts and other influencers and show them all the cool stuff that Microsoft is doing. In short, it's our job to act as the bridge between Microsoft and end users." But he left Microsoft in March 2007 and resumed his role as a tech analyst, saying "at my core, I am an analyst. It's what I do and I do it well and after much thought, I realize I'm just not ready to stop doing that job just yet."
Gartner is one of the highest-profile technology research firms tracking, and the firm's estimates of product sales are commonly cited by Apple in its presentations. Gartenberg has long been a fixture in the research and analysis community, and has served as an occasional contributor to Macworld and other publications.

Article Link: Former Gartner Research Director Michael Gartenberg Joins Apple's Marketing Team

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Two professions skilled at making things up and lying. Marketing and analysts. Lots of good skill cross-over there...

(I don't know THIS particular analyst being awful like say, Katy Huberty, but the profession has a worse rep than lawyers.)

Mystic386

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
Two professions skilled at making things up and lying. Marketing and analysts. Lots of good skill cross-over there...

(I don't know THIS particular analyst being awful like say, Katy Huberty, but the profession has a worse rep than lawyers.)

Lawyers have a far worse rep here.

Crunchy2k

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2013
Lawyers have a far worse rep here.

Market people give lawyers jobs and make interesting sayings:

'Your holding it wrong!' ipoor4g antenna attenuation problem.

'Starbucks is the place to chat and google.'

ipoor5 can't surf and cell. ipoor5 can't do cellular data and be in a call according to the manual. The ipoor5 requires wifi in addition to a cellular connection.

Last edited:

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
Evangelising to Analysts??

Helping Apple understand exactly how anal-ysts just pull stuff out of their butts, and how craft rumours better to manipulate said analysts and therefore the media/internet??

Actually I think he has one job and one job only - Helping Apple spin another year of 4" screen iPhones - because that's going to take a bulls*it artist of Jobsian proportions. Seriously. He's going to have to light-up a nuke under that cow-pie to get it to fly for another 12 months.

allahditta

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2013
New Marketing star

Gartenberg' it is a macro minded people it may cover the emerging marketing technique for Apple. it has the strong interpersonal and research worker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.