Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webcity

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
United Kingdom
I am looking for a Macbook for doing light web development work and for taking to clients offices when I go to meetings. I'm also starting to learn iOS development so would be good to do that on it to.

However, I'm really struggling to decide on which Macbook to get. I like the idea of the all day battery on the Macbook Air but the low GHz of the CPU worries me.

So, my choices are pretty much the 13" Macbook Pro or the 15" Macbook Pro. I couldn't really justify the extra expense for the retina screen unless it's going to give me more screen real estate on the 13" retina than the 15" LED?

Any advice would be great
Thanks

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I am looking for a Macbook for doing light web development work and for taking to clients offices when I go to meetings. I'm also starting to learn iOS development so would be good to do that on it to.

However, I'm really struggling to decide on which Macbook to get. I like the idea of the all day battery on the Macbook Air but the low GHz of the CPU worries me.

So, my choices are pretty much the 13" Macbook Pro or the 15" Macbook Pro. I couldn't really justify the extra expense for the retina screen unless it's going to give me more screen real estate on the 13" retina than the 15" LED?

Any advice would be great
Thanks

For the usage you mentioned, I think the 13" Air is the way to go especially now that the battery life is much better. Just max out the RAM and get the top end processor (which turbos up to 3.3, BTW) and stop worrying.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
MacBook Air.

Don't let the low power scare you unless you're needing the power for heavy editing or something like that. The processors now are very efficient.

Example.... My 2006 2.0 Ghz Core Duo would heat up full fans when watching Netflix, YouTube, or playing Facebook games (FarmVille?!).

My 2010 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo MBP doesn't break a sweat doing any of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.