Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Steam working fine now. I didn't do anything, just waited a couple of days and tried again. Seems to have been congestion on Steam servers.

dmarovi

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2011
I did this:

In <user>/Library/Application Support location called 'Steam' , i deleted "userdata" and registry.vdf

Now steam will connect without problems, but you have to redownload your games. You better try it first with only deleting registry.vdf

This worked for me!

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
mine does this every time i log into my imac, is there any way of delaying program start-ups? i think its just the the imac doesnt get enough time to connect to the wi-fi lol

SolventMoon

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
hey i was having trouble with this and i found the solution on youtube!

"Once steam is installed, go into Finder, then click on your User on the sidebar, then go into Library, then into Application Support, then delete the folder called 'Steam'. Make sure to empty the trash!

I tried this and it now works perfectly, it updated and I am now logged into steam!

Good luck people!"

hope this helps :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
"Once steam is installed, go into Finder, then click on your User on the sidebar, then go into Library, then into Application Support, then delete the folder called 'Steam'. Make sure to empty the trash!

Warning: This will delete all your downloaded games!

landojohnso

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2011
I think I got it!

So here was my problem:

I had gone maybe a month or two without using Steam. When I tried to start it, I would type in my username and password, and after the rainbow-Apple wheel spun for about 1:00, it would say "can not connect to steam, this is either a problem with your internet or steam's network."

Well, what I tried was:

-Drag the Steam application from the applications folder to the trash
-Drag the Steam folder from "yourusername/library/application support/ to the trash
-EMPTY THE TRASH
-Download Steam from Steam's website and drag it to the desktop, then to the application folder.
-I can't remember if I tried just running Steam or running Portal 2, but either way you have to log in. So I entered my username/password, and the authentication code. Then it took forever to verify but it said it STILL couldn't access the steam network.
-BUT this worked, try running Portal 2 (or any steam game/or just steam) and while it loads, go up to the toolbar and click "Games", then "View Games Library." What happened for me, is it stopped trying to "log me in" and just opened up the Steam application. I am currently downloading a new game, and hopefully it will have fixed the problem for good...

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
I had this problem too, and I just solved it. Running 10.6.8.

I deleted the Steam application support folder, it's at /Users/xxxx/Applicaiton Support/Steam. Delete that Steam folder. Then delete the Steam application from your Application folder. Then re-download the Steam application from Valve's website. All working fine now!

dissolve

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2009
Had this same problem (this thread was first to show up on a search). Found the solution for any others with the same issue. Go to ~/Library/Application Support/Steam and remove the ClientRegistry.blob file. It will be remade once you open Steam again.

Seems this may have been why removing the entire folder works for others. But, this way, you don't delete extraneous data. Hope this helps others.

andrewgreek

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2011
if you have peer guardian installed you must disable it by doing this...

Start peer guardian , control click on the icon in the dock. Choose disable filters. Quit peer guardian. Try steam again !

Now you still need to make a new empty folder called steam in your application support folder which is inside your library folder which is inside your account name !

Go to finder then double click on your account name ( which has a little house next to it in the sidebar of finder ) , double click on library , double click on application support. Now control click or right click and choose new folder , finally rename the new folder to steam.

The full path is yourusername/library/application support/steam.

Enjoy !

Hackdabox!

man you rock!thanx!

AJKing

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
I got this from Steam Support and it worked for me:

Please exit Steam and go to the folder Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Steam

Delete all of the files in this folder except for SteamApps.

Restart your computer.

Launch Steam and re-test the issue.

Note: This process will not affect your currently installed games.

Note: If you are using Lion please do the following to enable your Library folder:

1. Open Terminal
2. Type chflags nohidden ~/Library
3. Close Terminal

You should see the Library folder available through the Go menu on the menu bar while holding down the option key.

ravenandcrow

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
My Issues, Resolved, If It Helps Anyone

Just wanted to post really quickly with the support I got from Steam. My support was specific to Skyrim, but seems like it could be more broad too.

The first bit below I had already checked, so it wasn't a permissions or game cache issue for me, but the part just after that, regarding manually running the three installers int he game folder worked like a dream for my connectivity issue and 'game not available' message. Hope that helps someone!

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

If you are currently running Vista or Windows 7, please complete the instructions in the following link:

Title: Windows 7 and Vista Troubleshooting
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5688-IFHZ-2170

If you are running in Windows XP, take the following steps:
1) Exit Steam.
2) Go to the "Start" menu, select "Run", type "regedit" and click "OK".
3) Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VALVE
4) Right click and select "Permissions"
5) Check the "Allow" boxes for "Admin" and "System" for both "Full control" and "Read".

The remaining steps apply to *all* versions of Windows.

Please also verify the GCF for this game as outlined here:

Title: Verifying Game Cache Files (GCF)
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

Note: Files may fail to verify. This is normal and can be ignored.

Then test the issue.

If you still have difficulty, you may also need to manually run secondary installers required by this game.

Exit Steam entirely.

Browse to your Skyrim installation folder (Usually C:\Program files\Steam\Steamapps\common\skyrim\)

Run the following installers:

...\Steamapps\common\skyrim\DirectX10\dxsetup.exe
...\Steamapps\common\skyrim\DotNetFX\dotnetfx35setup.exe
...\Steamapps\common\skyrim\VCRedist\vcredist_x86.exe

Reboot your computer and test the issue again.

If the issues persist, please complete these guides:

Title: This game is currently unavailable
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4595-WEXN-6831

Title: Games do not run after 'Preparing to Launch'
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6218-USFX-5568

Further support for this title is handled by a third party support department - please follow the instructions below to contact the support provider to troubleshoot this issue:

Title: Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5580-WEID-4389

AlecTheAce

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
I'm also having a similar issue that use to pop up for me until I completely uninstalled Steam now every single time I try to log into my "existing account" This pops up.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-18 at 7.30.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-18 at 7.30.52 PM.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 177

Apple-Guy

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2010
Belgium
So after some manic hunting around it seems the fix is to completely uninstall PeerGuardian for OSX. I had to re-download the PeerGuardian installer dmg to get the uninstaller. I ran that twice (to be sure) and then re-launched the Steam app. Immediately could log in without issues...

Hope this helps...

I remember this happening to me years ago on windows too. PG must block Steam servers. Makes sense...
:eek:

i love you! (no homo)

but this fixed the steam issue AND also my mail :D, don't know why it suddenly started acting up though =/

also, bump, but useful info needs to be bumped ;)

Greetz Apple-Guy

dwynnejr

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
i love you! (no homo)

but this fixed the steam issue AND also my mail :D, don't know why it suddenly started acting up though =/

also, bump, but useful info needs to be bumped ;)

Greetz Apple-Guy

Having this same problem (just installed steam on a new air today). Not as talented as some of you with the mac, so i'm having trouble finding a solution. I see no steam folder or library folder, only the steam application. any help would be appreciated.

also if i go to users/myname ... there is no library folder at all.

Last edited:

dwynnejr

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
Having this same problem (just installed steam on a new air today). Not as talented as some of you with the mac, so i'm having trouble finding a solution. I see no steam folder or library folder, only the steam application. any help would be appreciated.

also if i go to users/myname ... there is no library folder at all.

I should also add that it tried uninstalling and reinstalling and that did nothing. Not sure what to do now.

Thanks for any suggestions.

dwynnejr

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
I should also add that it tried uninstalling and reinstalling and that did nothing. Not sure what to do now.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I was able to find the library, delete the folders, but it did nothing. this is infuriating. Steam works fine on my older mac and i just bought some games in anticipation of the new one and cannot run it now.

Apple-Guy

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2010
Belgium
@dwynnejr bit of a late reply, but it wasn't anything to do with steam for us, but we had software installed, called peerguardian, which would block connections when the program was ran, however, it started acting up and uninstalling it finally fixed the issue with steam not being able to connect, and for me, also my mail not being able to contact the mail servers

Greetz,

Apple-Guy

reapo

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2013
You need to find the port that the client uses

First of all, hello all, and I'm glad to be able to post a solution that I found to this error.

Ok, so here's what I did:

1. I went into my router and forwarded all the incoming and outgoing ports to see if the problem was with my port forwarding, or the ISP. I was able to connect after forwarding all my ports.
2. I went into terminal and used this command: lsof -i | grep LISTEN , to see what processes were listening to which ports.
3. I found steam listening to port 57343, so I went into my router again and disabled the forwarding of all ports, and only left port 57343 open.
4. logged out of steam and shut it down, opened it back up again and it now works perfectly.

I am writing the instructions as well, because other people's machines might be using other ports, or the port might change from day to day, so you might need to change it if it does.

P.S. I hope that people know how to forward ports, and that you might need to forward the Steam specific ports (3478, 27000-27050) to be able to download games.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
First of all, hello all, and I'm glad to be able to post a solution that I found to this error.

Ok, so here's what I did:

1. I went into my router and forwarded all the incoming and outgoing ports to see if the problem was with my port forwarding, or the ISP. I was able to connect after forwarding all my ports.
2. I went into terminal and used this command: lsof -i | grep LISTEN , to see what processes were listening to which ports.
3. I found steam listening to port 57343, so I went into my router again and disabled the forwarding of all ports, and only left port 57343 open.
4. logged out of steam and shut it down, opened it back up again and it now works perfectly.

I am writing the instructions as well, because other people's machines might be using other ports, or the port might change from day to day, so you might need to change it if it does.

P.S. I hope that people know how to forward ports, and that you might need to forward the Steam specific ports (3478, 27000-27050) to be able to download games.

Just to be sure, are you referring to the MacOSX Terminal?
How do you forward ports? Is that router specific I assume? :)
Thanks!

RelockLabs

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2014
Its the steam beta program

please all make sure you turn off the option to "opt" for the steam beta program, i was having this issue as well, although i am hesitant to change code i was willing.. i thought it was perhaps the fact that a majority of us use Bootcamp as well as Mac OS.. but nope

ITS THE BETA!

seriously, log in using offline mode, disable the beta option in preferences and viola

hope this helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.