Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:46 PM   #1
MCIowaRulz
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
iMac 2012 1TB vs MacBookPro 2012 NON RETNA 1TB Help

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1529593
Sorry I posted in wrong thread
Will a 1 TB HD at 5400 be able to run FCP? Im getting the sence that the 1TB will be as fast as the 750GB OEM drive that Apple uses at 7200 RPM due to more platters on the drive.
VMWare doesn't really care about speed does it?? I want to run Fusion for some Windows Programs that I have and I want this computer to last me 5 years so i'd want the 1TB right? Can someone run the Black Magic software for me on there 7200 RPM MacBook vs a 1TB at 5400 rpm?

Thanks so much Fellow MacRumors people
__________________
Dell Optiplex 3.06 Ghz 1.5 GB Ram 512Mb GeForce 8400 GS (soon) 250GB HD XP Pro:
64 GB iPod Touch

Last edited by MCIowaRulz; Jan 21, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
MCIowaRulz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:24 AM   #2
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020
 
Yebubbleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCIowaRulz View Post
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1529593
Sorry I posted in wrong thread
Will a 1 TB HD at 5400 be able to run FCP? Im getting the sence that the 1TB will be as fast as the 750GB OEM drive that Apple uses at 7200 RPM due to more platters on the drive.
VMWare doesn't really care about speed does it?? I want to run Fusion for some Windows Programs that I have and I want this computer to last me 5 years so i'd want the 1TB right? Can someone run the Black Magic software for me on there 7200 RPM MacBook vs a 1TB at 5400 rpm?

Thanks so much Fellow MacRumors people
I'll put it to you this way: You can eventually replace your 1TB 5400RPM 2.5" Hard Drive with a 1TB 7200RPM 2.5" hard drive in your MacBook Pro if you can't already, and the process would be a walk in the park. You can certainly do the same with a 2012 iMac, but a walk in the park it would not be.
__________________
MacBook Pro (15" Mid 2012); PC Tower (3.4GHz Phenom II x4; Radeon HD 6850); 5th Gen iPod touch; 2nd and 3rd Gen tv; iPad Air Verizon; Galaxy S5 Verizon
"Don't Cry, Eat Pie"
Yebubbleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:23 AM   #3
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebubbleman View Post
I'll put it to you this way: You can eventually replace your 1TB 5400RPM 2.5" Hard Drive with a 1TB 7200RPM 2.5" hard drive in your MacBook Pro if you can't already, and the process would be a walk in the park. You can certainly do the same with a 2012 iMac, but a walk in the park it would not be.
And you can quite easily put two drives into the MBP if you don't need the optical drive, so in two years time you can probably upgrade to a 1.5TB Fusion drive for very little money.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:37 PM   #4
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020
 
Yebubbleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
And you can quite easily put two drives into the MBP if you don't need the optical drive, so in two years time you can probably upgrade to a 1.5TB Fusion drive for very little money.
Hell, even if you do need the optical drive, the flexibility and upgradability to do whatever you want with the 2.5" SATA bay down the road is definitely there and is unparalleled by any other non-Mac-Pro Mac on the market today.
__________________
MacBook Pro (15" Mid 2012); PC Tower (3.4GHz Phenom II x4; Radeon HD 6850); 5th Gen iPod touch; 2nd and 3rd Gen tv; iPad Air Verizon; Galaxy S5 Verizon
"Don't Cry, Eat Pie"
Yebubbleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iMac late 2012 1TB Fusion - Replace hard drive PatrickNSF iMac 1 Feb 10, 2014 05:28 AM
2012 iMac Upgrading to SSD from stock 1TB HD... Where to get special OS? Kmad86 iMac 14 Dec 29, 2012 11:53 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC