Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:58 PM   #26
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
it was suppose to be clearer with better ppi?
Better PPI at the same resolution =/= clearer text (especially at 7.9"). Graphics and UI elements will certainly look sharper though.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:00 PM   #27
Bokes
macrumors 6502

Try a reboot or restore.
My mini actually loads pages faster than my ipad 3.
Speed is not the issue- it's the screen.
Bokes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:02 PM   #28
Eddie Bombay
macrumors 6502

No lag, but only have less then 50 apps installed and 38 gigs of movies. Not sure if anything that i said has to do with that.
Eddie Bombay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:36 AM   #29
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmjag View Post
but to claim that it is all rainbows and peppermints is laughable.
It may be laughable but it's not offensive like claiming that my mini isn't the experience exactly as I described. Are you going next to ZBoater and call him a liar too now because he has the audacity to claim that his 3 seems laggier?
WilliamLondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:38 AM   #30
wrkactjob
Banned

I don't notice any lag with performance my only gripe is with the volume buttons, wish it was a single 'rocker' type rather than two buttons shaped the same.
wrkactjob is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:45 AM   #31
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
Anyone else notice that?
Not me because I went from an iPad 1 to the mini

I'm very happy with the iPad mini's performance.
maflynn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:13 AM   #32
PDE
macrumors 68020

I have noticed absolutely no issues with performance either. Today I played with an ipad 4 and while it was it seemed slightly speedier it was also significantly hotter. I would say that I actually would prefer slightly less performance and a cool iPad than the reverse.

I can imagine that the first real bottleneck over the next few years with the first generation mini will be the limited ram...but probably not for a few years, similar to the way it was with the ipad 1.
PDE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:14 AM   #33
akdj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Did your mini come with a unicorn too? Putting aside, for a moment, your dogged insistence that the non-retina display is hardly noticeable - even the most objective owner of the mini who has come from the iPad 3 can notice the lag in apps. I notice it in several games and in the loading of certain web pages.

Glad that you enjoy it so - but to claim that it is all rainbows and peppermints is laughable.
Actually, your comment seems to be the only laughable comment in the thread. My experience is identical to every other real owner/responder in this discussion. It's been laid out to you...if you weren't aware, the guts are identical with the exception of the GPU (specifically to run the retina display) with the additional RAM. The CPU is the updated 32nm A5 that was only introduced with the later made iPad2 and iPad3. It's less than a year old. Same processor as the iPhone 4s.

To The OP---as others have mentioned, maybe a hard reset, close open apps, OR a trip to the Genius. iPad Mini, for now, runs everything in the app store as well and as efficiently as iPad 3 (I own both, along with the fourth gen iPad). Essentially ALL iOS development has been done based on the A4/A5 specs and processing ability...if your app lags, it's either an issue with the app/code itself or a hardware issue in the 'mini'

J
akdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:36 PM   #34
Amplelink
macrumors 6502

Purely anecdotal here, but there is noticeable "lag" in the App Store and iTunes apps compared to my iPhone 5.
Amplelink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:11 PM   #35
ZBoater
macrumors 604

Quote:
...even the most objective owner of the mini who has come from the iPad 3 can notice the lag in apps. ....
Ummm, I don't....
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:40 PM   #36
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
Ummm, I don't....
Same. I use my mini daily and haven't noticed any issues. Sure if I pick up my iPad 3 it does have a nicer screen, but I prefer the form of the mini over the iPad 3 so it doesn't bother me.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:00 PM   #37
Tigger11
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Did your mini come with a unicorn too? Putting aside, for a moment, your dogged insistence that the non-retina display is hardly noticeable - even the most objective owner of the mini who has come from the iPad 3 can notice the lag in apps. I notice it in several games and in the loading of certain web pages.

Glad that you enjoy it so - but to claim that it is all rainbows and peppermints is laughable.
Given the characteristics of the two devices, the Ipad 3 not the Ipad Mini should be showing the lag. That was noticed when the Ipad 3 originally came out vs the iPad 2, its pushing around 4x as many pixels with more horsepower in the GPU, but identical CPU cores.
Tigger11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:51 PM   #38
mrkjsn
macrumors 6502

Having a couple of iPad mini's, I have noticed some lag but not terribly bad. But it's there.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:01 PM   #39
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

As an owner of both the iPad 4 and iPad mini, I can say the mini runs things plenty smoothly for me. Sure the 4 is a beast - but even when switching between the two I don't feel like I'm losing anything as far as smoothness (now obviously games play much better on the 4 - but the mini is no slouch).

And to echo just about everyone else, here are my personal iPad 2, 3, 4 and mini geekbench 2 scores:

iPad 2: 757
iPad 3: 752
iPad mini 762
iPad 4: 1761

And just for kicks - because the mini carries the same processor:

iPhone 4S: 631

*My geekbench scores are all averages of the 3rd, 4th and 5th "trials" on each device. All apps fully closed*
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:23 PM   #40
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
Subjectively my experience has been contrary to yours.

No i have no lag on my mini and I went from a iPad 3 to a mini.

App wise most apps are the same, the only noticeable differences has been on games, and If anything some games actually play, have more effects and lag less on the mini (MC4, NOVA3) than they do on the iPad 3.

----------

Technically you could say the iPad 3 was just an iPad 2 with a retina display and more memory. CPU processor wise they are exactly the same.
Same for me. No lagging at all...in fact less than the iPad 3 for sure.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:44 PM   #41
HeyGreggie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
Same. I use my mini daily and haven't noticed any issues. Sure if I pick up my iPad 3 it does have a nicer screen, but I prefer the form of the mini over the iPad 3 so it doesn't bother me.
this is what I'm wondering also.. I have an iphone 5, and sure the screen is nice...

but what folks are saying is the mini is like the ipad 2. I tried to use my moms ipad 2 and found myself squinting at the texts...

Since the screen is smaller on the mini... would I really have to worry about that?
HeyGreggie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 06:12 PM   #42
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyGreggie View Post
this is what I'm wondering also.. I have an iphone 5, and sure the screen is nice...

but what folks are saying is the mini is like the ipad 2. I tried to use my moms ipad 2 and found myself squinting at the texts...

Since the screen is smaller on the mini... would I really have to worry about that?
I've never had to squint, but since the PPI is a bit higher, I think text is just fine on it.

If you're concerned, go to your local Best Buy, Apple, Verizon or AT&T store and do some things you'd normally do on an iPad. I did and it's what made me get the black version since the white was horrible for watching videos. It'll help a lot more than you think. I even pulled up MacRumors on one since I spend so much time here.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad